Cooks: Minor eggnog issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I made a batch of eggnog for my homebrew club's Christmas party using Alton Brown's recipe from Food Network's Good Eats with a few minor mods (e.g. less nutmeg, more whiskey). It turned out very well, I got a ton of compliments on it, but there was just one thing that bugged me: the egg whites separated out and rose to the top during chilling, leaving a ton of foam. Any cooks out there know what would cause such an occurrence? Did I not whisk enough? Too much?

Thanks in advance!

The same thing happened to my nog when I made Emeril Lagasse's recipe a couple of years ago. I just gave it the occasional stir to keep everything fairly mixed together.

It's just the nature of the beast- happens to me too. The alternative would be to mix the eggs in more, but then you'd deflate the foam, and your nog wouldn't be as frothy. I just stir it in a little more when I serve a glass.

Back