South Florida Brewers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoronBrothersBrewery

Reaction score
Any of you guys and gals ever brew with good old fashion tap water? Just curios how your beer came out, did you use a hose, etc. Thanks!

I only brew with tap water. Straight from my kitchen sink. My philosophy is "if your water tastes good, your beer will taste good". If your tap water tastes like crap, DON'T brew with it. If it tastes good, go for it!

Central Florida.

I pour my tap water the night before and add 5.2 buffer and a Camden tablet and let the containers sit open until brew time. Has been working well so far.

Central Florida.

I pour my tap water the night before and add 5.2 buffer and a Camden tablet and let the containers sit open until brew time. Has been working well so far.

Have you ever brewed with out adding the 5.2 and the Camden tablets, and have you noticed any difference? Also, why do let the containers sit open?

The first couple brews I did, I did not use the 5.2 or the Camden and they had "sour apple" flavors I attributed this to the chloramine. As for the 5.2 I did a ph test and it was well over 9 so I figured it wouldn't hurt. People talk about "salty" beer with the 5.2 but I haven't experienced this yet. I leave the top off to let the chloramine escape, not sure if this is true, I read it in a St Pete brewers blog and a few other places.

If you are on a municipal water source and not a well I would use the Camden tablets, it is pretty common practice.

Back