Will This SSR Relay Work For

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Those are both 40DA SSR's. Switched voltage can be 30-380V. They are rated for 40A. If you're going to use 120V, then you should be fine since normal household amperage is 15 and stepped up is 20A. Make sure you order a heat sink and some thermal compound if you don't have it already.

Those are both 40DA SSR's. Switched voltage can be 30-380V. They are rated for 40A. If you're going to use 120V, then you should be fine since normal household amperage is 15 and stepped up is 20A. Make sure you order a heat sink and some thermal compound if you don't have it already.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that they needed a heat sink..

FWIW, I just use a 60 watt light bulb.. easy peasy :)

Me too. Incandescent bulds generation about 75% heat and 25% light from input energy.

How hot does the light bulb get your chambers? I'm was think that it would get it too warm.

Thanks.
E

I have a thermostat. I guessed I assumed that Joeybeer and Trainsafe just put the light in there without a thermostat.

E

An SSR rated at 25 amps shouldn't need a heat sink if it's only operating a 60w light bulb. The current draw is only about .5 amps and won't cause the heat sink to overheat even without a heat sink.

If you put a lightbulb is there any risk of UV exposure to your fermenting beer? I know UV production is low on those bulbs but just a thought.

I use a bulb in my kegerator and ferm chamber but I ferment in kegs.

An SSR rated at 25 amps shouldn't need a heat sink if it's only operating a 60w light bulb. The current draw is only about .5 amps and won't cause the heat sink to overheat even without a heat sink.

Doh!! Too late. I bought the relay and a heat simk last night. Oh well.

If you put a lightbulb is there any risk of UV exposure to your fermenting beer? I know UV production is low on those bulbs but just a thought.

I use a bulb in my kegerator and ferm chamber but I ferment in kegs.

I don't know. The chamber I built has two separate compartments for ice.. And now a light bulb. So, no light ever gets to the fermenter. I also have the bulb in a can like the link I posted in my original post.

E

Errrr... The relay & hear sink was supposed to arrive today, but it won't get here until tomorrow.

I had to put my brew day on-hold...

Oh well........... I guess that Porter is going to have to wait....... :drunk:

E

Sorry I went missing there for a couple of days.. I use the Ebay Temp Controller DIY build, with the chest freezer plugged into the cold side and a light that's permenantly mounted in the Chest freezer plugged into the hot side - Also I ferment in a Sanke Keg - Easy peasy :)

Latest posts

Back