Lager chamber setback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWard

Reaction score
So I got an old chest freezer for cold storage and to start lagering. A converted fridge is the current ale fermentation chamber. The second hand store was going out of business and the freezer was marked down to $75. It was working there. I got it home, painted the bottom because of the rust. All set with the Johnson controller and the freezer won't work. Plugged it in directly and it hums, then clicks, then nothing. Could it be the starter relay? Compressor? If its anything other than the relay, it won't be worth fixing.

So I'm bummed. I hope someone has something that I haven't thought of, or it will be a trip to the landfill or freecycle this one.

The phrase comes to mind: "time heals all wounds". I suggest waiting a day, and then plug it in again. When you moved it or painted it refrigerant oil could have moved around and got temporarily (or permanently) trapped. Hopefully after a day or so the oil will move back into the bottom of the compressor. Here is a link: http://www.applianceaid.com/faq-side.html

I can vouch for that issue too. Those little guys don't like being set on the sides and then being plugged in right away. Give it a day, and then try firing it up again.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I let it sit overnight before I plugged in the first time. Its been 3 days now, and nothing. I talked with a guy who works in the industry. He told me not to toss it yet, as he might be able to help me. I don't feel optimistic. Just chalking it up to "stupid tax."

Back