Cyser questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziplinedown

Reaction score
About three months ago I started a 5 gallon cyser batch and pitched Montrachet yeast. I started out with 10lbs of honey. The og was 1.102. When the yeast seemed to poop out (stuck in the 1.040's) I added some yeast nutrient and chmpagne yeast. The gravity has been at 1.025 for about 3 weeks now. I just put my carboy in the fridge to cold crash and see if I could get some of the yeast to drop out ( I'm getting a nice amount of sediment on the bottom).

My question is: is 1.025 too high to bottle carb? Should I just add the standard 3/4 cup corn sugar and bottle or would I be dealing with bottle bombs? This is my first cyser (actually my first time fermenting with honey at all)

Thanks

1.025 is WAY too high to even consider bottling. Cider and honey are effectively 100% fermentable, so will go down to <1.000. If you bottled now, and the yeast decided to be little pricks and start fermenting again, you'd definitely have bottle bombs.

What temp was this fermenting at?

Thanks for responding. It has been fermenting in the high 70's so Im not sure that temperature is an issue. So far I have pitched two packets of Montrachet and a vial of champagne yeast as well as some yeast nutrient.

Obviously I need to take the carboy out of the fridge if I want it to ferment any more. Should I pitch more yeast? More yeast nutrient?

Thanks.

do you make wine? you need a wine stirer.. sounds funny, but I had a beer that kicked up again after 2 weeks stable when I racked it, only thing that made sense was that it had agitated everything and gotten the yeast out of settling and the food and neutrients mixed around....

So if this were mine I would agitate (but not aereate! I don't think O2 woudl help), add some more nuetrient. Maybe or maybe not rack... I'm not sure about that one...

that yeast has like a 15% tolerance right? I don't think you are close enough to that to risk bottle carbination. One thing I've come accross is that Mead's have a habit of restarting on you causing bombs, and that although the yeast tollerence might say it is 15% abv, your package could be at the high end of tollerances....

And give it a month - if it doesn't budge after all this you might consider more yeast.

Thanks

I will rack it and add some yeast nutrient and see if I get any more acitivity.
Even if it ferments all the way out the abv will be 13.8%
Thanks for your help,
I wish I would have thought this out more when I started:(

Latest posts

Back