Why aerate after putting the wort into the primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very new to brewing. I still have my first batch in the primary fermenter. Prior to starting my first batch, I watched the DVD from Midwest Brewing Supplies that came with my extract kit, read a book, and watched some videos on Youtube. On most all of these I see that it says to aerate the wort in the primary fermenter right after pouring it in.

In light of the mechanisms of alcoholic fermentation, why would that be a recommendation?

We know that aerobic respiration is impossible in the absence of oxygen, so why would we want to promote oxidative phosphorylation at the start of the fermentation process? Wouldn't it be much better to avoid oxygen saturation as much as possible in order to start the anaerobic fermentation process as quickly as possible?

Yeast simply can't multiply as much as we need them to using anaerobic respiration. Think of it this way: yeast can survive anaerobically, but they can't thrive. To multiply the 2-12X needed to ferment the wort well they need to be aerobic.

Okay, that makes sense. So, it's basically a tradeoff in order to get enough yeast to properly ferment without using up too much sugar in doing so.

So, could a larger amount of yeast be propagated prior to putting it into the wort to compensate for this?

Doesn't aerobic respiration create off tastes?

Okay, that makes sense. So, it's basically a tradeoff in order to get enough yeast to properly ferment without using up too much sugar in doing so.

So, could a larger amount of yeast be propagated prior to putting it into the wort to compensate for this?

Doesn't aerobic respiration create off tastes?

Trade off? No. And the comment about "using up too much sugar in doing so" doesn't make sense to me. The yeast will only ferment fermentable sugars whether there is two yeast or two hundred billion.

Most of us do use a yeast starter, to try to simulate professional breweries yeast pitching rates. Underpitching causes stressed yeast, and off flavors.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrates.cfm

search using olive oil instead of oxygen in your yeast......new belguim has done many trials and sold many bbls of beer that used only olive oil for yeast propogation and fermentation.

Trade off? No. And the comment about "using up too much sugar in doing so" doesn't make sense to me. The yeast will only ferment fermentable sugars whether there is two yeast or two hundred billion.

Most of us do use a yeast starter, to try to simulate professional breweries yeast pitching rates. Underpitching causes stressed yeast, and off flavors.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrates.cfm

It didn't make sense to me either after thinking about it more! :D I was referring to the number of ATPs (cell's energy source) produced per molecule of sugar (monosaccharide sugar). In aerobic respiration, 36 ATPs are produced per molecule as opposed to 2 ATPs produced in fermentation. In order to produce the same amount of energy, a yeast cell would need to consume 18 times more sugars... but in the end they would still be fermented as alcohol... which is where my reasoning failed. :D But, that being said, aerobic respiration will still use up sugar that could be used for alcoholic fermentation.

How does underpitching cause stressed yeast? I would think that an over-abundance of food source would have the opposite effect on the yeast.

I don't mean to come across as a know it all or anything, I just like to know the science behind what I do if at all possible.

It didn't make sense to me either after thinking about it more! :D I was referring to the number of ATPs (cell's energy source) produced per molecule of sugar (monosaccharide sugar). In aerobic respiration, 36 ATPs are produced per molecule as opposed to 2 ATPs produced in fermentation. In order to produce the same amount of energy, a yeast cell would need to consume 18 times more sugars... but in the end they would still be fermented as alcohol... which is where my reasoning failed. :D But, that being said, aerobic respiration will still use up sugar that could be used for alcoholic fermentation.

How does underpitching cause stressed yeast? I would think that an over-abundance of food source would have the opposite effect on the yeast.

I don't mean to come across as a know it all or anything, I just like to know the science behind what I do if at all possible.

Those links I posted should help. Underpitching greatly stresses the yeast. In the simplest terms, it would be just like putting you to work in a hay field. All by yourself, you'd have trouble finishing the job and be very stressed. But if I put in 2 extra guys, that would help. 200 extra guys would mean that you could do a much better job, without exhaustion. Probably a poor analogy, but I drink :D

Those links I posted should help. Underpitching greatly stresses the yeast. In the simplest terms, it would be just like putting you to work in a hay field. All by yourself, you'd have trouble finishing the job and be very stressed. But if I put in 2 extra guys, that would help. 200 extra guys would mean that you could do a much better job, without exhaustion. Probably a poor analogy, but I drink :D

I had completely (unintentionally) ignored your links. They answered most of my questions. Thank you.

Note that yeast growth is not a separate process from fermentation; fermentation is the process of converting fermentable sugars into ethanol, carbon dioxide, and yeast biomass (i.e. more yeast) and a small amount of flavor compounds. Therefore the greatest period of yeast growth occurs at the height of fermentation, not during the lag phase when the yeast are preparing for future budding by synthesizing the components of their cell wall via oxygen and/or assimilating pre-existing lipids (such as provided by olive oil). By the time the cells get around to active budding, all oxygen has long been scavenged from the beer.

No aerobic respiration occurs in a batch brewery fermentation. Wort always contains levels of glucose that inhibit even the development of the mitochondria necessary for this type of metabolism.

Here is an old thread that discussed this. I think at least part of the confusion is that there is what we call an aerobic phase of fermentation but that doesn't mean the yeast are respiring aerobically.

Back