Pumpkin Ale minus the Pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Looking to brew a Chocolate Pumpkin Spiced Ale for a rapidly approaching October. I've read conflicting information here on the forums, and among other places, in regards to whether or not I should add Pumpkin. Some folks say "Add the Pumpkin for color, mouthfeel, and for a slight taste". Others say just add the spices during the last 5 minutes.

Will the Pumpkin make that much of a difference? I know that Pumpkin is generally quite bland without the spice. This is going to be an extract recipe.
Also, depending on whether or not I use pumpkin, would I still need a mini-mash? Or should I just steep the grains like normal?

Thanks!

If you use pumpkin, you'll need to mash. Otherwise, no. Personally, I don't think they add enough to bother. I'll make pie.

I made a pumpkin ale today and baked 3 cans of pumpkin and added it to the boil. I read many posts and took the advice to ADD the pumpkin.

Looks like this thread is going to make it about as clear as it was before. Almost makes me want to make two batches, same grist and spices, one with pumpkin one without.

Yea, seems to be about the same as everything else I've read. I'm planning a brew day sometime this week for a pumpkin ale. I'm going to add the pumpkin just for the sake of being a real pumpkin ale.

pumpkin doesn't add any flavor so just do a spiced ale and spice it to taste like pumpkin pie, may want to add some corn sugar to lighten body as an extract brewer

I did my pumpkin ale yesterday and baked 3 cans of pumpkin and steeped it with my grains. Looked at the carboy this morning and there is about 4inches of trub.
We will see how it taste, but if I ever do a pumpkin ale again, I think I will skip the pumpkin and just use the spices. I dont think it is going to make such a huge differance that losing a gallon or more is going to be worth it, but only time will tell!

I think pumpkin adds a lot to the boil. A lot of people say that adding pumpkin to the mash adds complexity to the beer. I don't do ag so when I did my pumpkin porter i added to the boil. I put the pumpkin in some hops bags and I think that didn't allow the wort to get the full pumpkin potential. Dump in some pumpkin and see what happens! All part of the fun of homebrewing, right?

Are you supposed to bake the pumpkin that comes in a can???? I didn't last weekend, just opened the cans and put them in the water at 155*

Are you supposed to bake the pumpkin that comes in a can???? I didn't last weekend, just opened the cans and put them in the water at 155*

After reading this thread, the general consensus was that if you bake the pumpkin you can get some carmelized pumpkin flavors or something of the sort. Bottled my porter about 3 weeks ago. Haven't tried one yet. I hope it's awesome. :mug:

Howdy folks,

Looking to brew a Chocolate Pumpkin Spiced Ale for a rapidly approaching October. I've read conflicting information here on the forums, and among other places, in regards to whether or not I should add Pumpkin. Some folks say "Add the Pumpkin for color, mouthfeel, and for a slight taste". Others say just add the spices during the last 5 minutes.

Will the Pumpkin make that much of a difference? I know that Pumpkin is generally quite bland without the spice. This is going to be an extract recipe.
Also, depending on whether or not I use pumpkin, would I still need a mini-mash? Or should I just steep the grains like normal?

Thanks!

I posted a similar question tonight in the "general" forum (Halloween vs Xmas). My understanding is that a high percentage of the flavor we think pumpkin provides is actually the spices put in it, the meat itself supposedly offers very little. Since I have yet to see a response to my post I'm going to assume no one can refute this.

That being said my LHBS gave me a Holiday Spiced Ale recipie that I've made two years in a row and it's a great tasting ale which I'll be making again this year, unless someone can talk me into the effort of making a pumpkin ale. I'd be glad to post it if it was of interest.

Food for thought....

Back