Brew Stand Design Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I recently received a March 809 pump and have brewed with it a couple times and now I can't help but want to build a stand. I have been toying with this idea long before I had the pump, so I happen to have acquired several sets of bed frames.

Since I prefer to fly sparge, I have been rigging up a 2-tier stand with the MLT being the highest point using tables and an old skateboard grind box. What I found out was that to get a good prime with the march pump, i had to get my vessels well over a foot above the pump (my hoses were way too long, maybe this is what caused some of issues).

Anyways my question is, if I were to build a 2 tier stand, what is the recommended height above the pump that the lowest vessel should be placed? also would shortening my hoses so there arent loops or a low point also help my priming issues?

Most brewers seems to have single tier stands and the pump is several feet below the vessels, but with a 2 tier setup, i want to minimize the height of the MLT b/c I need to be able to stir it comfortably.

As we all know, i would like to build my stand correctly the first time.

Thanks in advance.

i found this picture online.

Picture011.jpg

This seems like a good design for me, its essentially what i have been setting up. However the lower shelf would need to be lower for me b/c i use keggles which are taller. How much vertical drop is required for the march pump to prime properly?

TIA

Back