Chlorine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_jones84

Reaction score
So I called my water dept. to see if they used chlorine or chloramine and they said they used sodium hydrochloride (I think). He also told me by the time it took me to get 10gal of water to 180degrees the chlorine will have dissapated so for brewing I don't need to worry about filtering or campden tablets or anything.

Is there much truth to this? I just bought a damn water filter too.

yes its true. chlorine comes out of water easy enough a simple boil will take care of it. chloramine on the other hand does not. if your water contains chloramine you need campden tablets..... i would still use the water filter. who knows what else your city puts into its water.

While chlorine will dissipate with boiling, you did not waste your money on a filter. Filters remove other things from water that you don't necessarily want in beer. Read the label and it will probably list rust, iron, odors, excess minerals, etc.

While chlorine will dissipate with boiling, you did not waste your money on a filter. Filters remove other things from water that you don't necessarily want in beer. Read the label and it will probably list rust, iron, odors, excess minerals, etc.

yes filter is always good to have that city waters gotta travel through some type of processing and water lines that can have all kinds of funky stuff

Back