Who Can Explain C02 Dissolving in Solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
Not to be a total dork here, but...I just haven't found anything to really explain this to me.

When I want to force carbonate a keg, I can attach my C02 at the prescribed PSI per my beer temp and my intended carbonation. I hear the regulator and can hear C02 entering the keg....but then the sound stops. If I don't hear anything happening, can I assume that C02 is still dissolving into solution? If this is the case, when does C02 stop entering the keg?

I appreciate anyone helping me to clear this confusion up....

It dissolves slowly over a couple of weeks. You won't hear it because of how slowly it's moving.

That initial rush is the head space pressure equalizing to the pressure you have on the regulator.

It saturates the layer of beer contacting the headspace. After that, it slows way down. This is why SOME people shake their kegs when force carbing, to mix the beer allowing all of it a chance to contact the head space.

It saturates the layer of beer contacting the headspace. After that, it slows way down. This is why SOME people shake their kegs when force carbing, to mix the beer allowing all of it a chance to contact the head space.

Thanks...is there a certain point where you NEED to be turning the pressure down because you risk over-carbonating? Or is once the beer carbonated to the appropriate level according to the regulator does it just not take any more C02?

Thanks...is there a certain point where you NEED to be turning the pressure down because you risk over-carbonating? Or is once the beer carbonated to the appropriate level according to the regulator does it just not take any more C02?

No. It will level out according to the beer temp and psi setting. Set the psi and leave it until the keg kicks.

Back