LUX Programmable Outlet + Love Temp Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I'm in the beginning stages of making a fermentation chamber and saw these Lux Programmable Thermostats.

luxtempcontroller.png

I think the temp ranges would work okay for most beers I make and it would work for cooling and heating. I'm not crazy about the really short probe, though. Does anyone know if I could solder (or better yet, just splice) a love temp controller probe onto it? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
IF the temp probe is a simple resistor, i believe you can just solder a longer double strand of 18-24 AWG on there, but you'd have to take it apart to find out.

Search the HBT forums, it has been discussed before. I believe it has been successfully modified in the past. I have one that I use for a heater - works well.

leboeuf, I looked at that thread but there were no pics or mention of extending the probe. Did you just splice into it? Did you use a different temp probe, or did you just use wire to extend the included one?

Yea I didn't really get a good shot of it....
If you take a look at the pic below you can see the temp probe hanging.
Once you pop open the lux you'll see two spade connectors that attach the temp probe. I just spliced in the 6' of wire between the probe and those spade connectors.

DSCN1465.JPG

Thank you! I went ahead and bought one of the thermostats and got some 18 gauge wire to just use the probe on it.

:) Well, this didn't work out so well. It wasn't really sensing the temperatures very well, so I think I'm going to go back to using the regular length wire for the probe and just making it work somehow with a water bath.

Latest posts

Back