Am I the only person on this forum who likes beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_g

Reaction score
Do any of you guys like beer? I'm not asking if you like IPAs or Stouts. I said beer. It just seems that most people will say they like beer, but when you talk to them further they really only like a few different kinds of beer. Not only do I see people on this forum bashing the american light beers, but also the premium mass produced beer (Blue Moon, Amber Bock, Killian's, etc). Then there seems to be homebrewer's who have a very narrow style of beer that they like (IPAs, Stouts, etc.) It seems to me a little misleading to say you like beer, when really you can't stand 99% of the beer produced. It would be more correct to say you don't like beer or more better, that you don't like most beer, but there are certain kinds you like. Imagine if someone said they liked pie, but didn't like cherry, banna cream, coconut cream, strawberry, blueberry, punkin, or peanut butter. You then ask what kind of pie do you like? And they say that the like Apple pie, but only the way Grandma makes it. If that's the only pie you like, I wouldn't say you like pie, I'd say you like apple pie when Grandma makes it.

The funny thing is that it's not just people who like the craft beers, who are picky, but even the light beer drinkers. I spoke with someone a couple of nights ago that liked Coors light, but not Miller lite. As if it makes a huge difference.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like beer. I can't think of a beer I wont drink. If I'm at someone's house and they offer me a Miller lite, I'll drink it and like it. I like Miller lite less then some of the more specialty beers, but I can enjoy drinking one. My favorite part about drinking Miller Lite is that since I never buy it, if I'm drinking one it's free.

There are also the mass produced premium beers (Killian's, Amber Bock, Blue Moon.) This I enjoy a lot, and I'll even spend money to buy them.

There are some more specialty and mircro brews that I like as well: Three Philosophers, Magic Hat #9, Fransacaner, Chimay, Two Hearted IPA, DogFish head.

I like many different styles of beer: stouts, IPAs, Weizen, Bock, Porter, Pilsner, etc. I can't think of a style or class of beer I don't like.

I don't think my love for beer makes me undiscerning. I still think that some beers are better then other. Depending on my mood I may prefer one style of beer over another.

How about you? Do you like beer?

I posted this on my blog as well, feel free to comment either on the forum or on the blog:
Home Brew and Wine: Do you like beer?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8i5k4I1AOEI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8i5k4I1AOEI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, by this reasoning, if don't like McDonald's it means I don't like cheeseburgers.

Damn, I thought I liked cheeseburgers...

Well I seriously doubt that you like every single beer out there available. Buy a 6 pack of Blatz and Honestly tell me you LIKE it. Willing to drink it to get drunk does not = Liking it.

Most people on here like the craft of brewing and are willing to try any beer presented. Just because we don't like a particular style or beer doesn't mean we don't like "beer". I may not Choose to drink a particular beer, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the brewer's skill and devotion.

Liking Beer is more than just drinking beer. There's more to beer than taste. There's history, there is science, there is uniquness.

So saying I don't like beer in general because I wouldn't choke down a Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat to save my dogs life, is just not a true statement.

Um...yeah.....Uh....Right.....

Most wheats make me nauseous (though a pound in a grainbill doesn't affect me, only majority wheat beers)....I do not like Budwieser and most other majority RICE adjuncted lagers, but I do like SOME corn adjuncted or mixed rice and corn commercial lagers such as LLabats, PBR, Schlit's original recipe, Stroh's.

And I have grown to appreciate darker lagers, Vienna and Maibocks especially, but my preference is ales of all types, stouts, IPA's, belgians, cream ales, porters, pumpkins...yadda yadda yaddda.....so I guess I like beer...

WHat's the question??? :D

If it's an undying devotion to every type and style of beer, then no, I guess I don't like beer.

I can't stand mass produced American Lager's anymore. It's seriously a flavor issue with me.

I'm not big on sour beers.

I will politely refuse a beer I don't care for if offered. If that makes me rude or snobby, what can I do?

So no, I don't LIKE beer.

(I LOVE BEER :))

I had a Coors light Sunday

It was in my lagering fridge from when a friend stopped by

It was ICE COLD
I enjoyed it, not as much as my Pils that I had immediatley after but I was thirsty, it was COLD

I didnt see any trains or hot chicks either/////////////////////////////?

Beer and Pie.... I like pie, but I don't particularly care for the pie that you buy at the convenience store in the little pack that may or may not have been made with fruit.

Now an Apple Pie cider would be very nice, guess I'm just into the sweet hard ciders, I have yet to make one that is great though.

Beer and Pie.... I like pie, but I don't particularly care for the pie that you buy at the convenience store in the little pack that may or may not have been made with fruit.

Now an Apple Pie cider would be very nice, guess I'm just into the sweet hard ciders, I have yet to make one that is great though.

Pie

Oh man I love pie

Apple, Key Lime, lemon, Boston creme, Blueberry, Cherry, Pumpkin, Pudding

Oh man pie is good

Turkey pot pie, Duck pie (OMG!!!!) Steak/beef pie......................

IZ hungry

I like beer. Mostly ales, but a cold lager on a hot day goes down quite well. If I'm doing an activity, I like a lighter tasting beer.

I will drink most types of beer, but for some reason Budweiser products will give me an actual headache...so i try to avoid those...but if it's hot and that's all that's available, I'll drink 1 or 2 and hope I don't get a headache.

So i'm pretty much a beer slut, but when it comes to spending my own money I buy what I like and that's mostly ales.

Wow, this got a lot of responses quick. No I'm not saying a person needs to like every single beer that's ever been created. I just think that if someone likes 0.1% of all the beers out there and hates the other 99.9%, it's misleading to say that they like beer. They like some beer, but they don't like beer categorically. I'm sure after I try enough beer, there will be some I really wont want to drink. But as a rule, I think I can enjoy most beer.

I didn't use to be this way. I didn't really like beer at first. Most seemed too bitter (even the BMC beers). The first beer I liked was Fransacaner (sp?). Then I tried Chimay. Liked it too. I didn't like Stouts or IPAs at the beginning. Now I've come to enjoy them as well. It's funny how it grows on you. The first time I tried Guinness it seemed like the most bitter drink in the world. Now I find it mild and sweet. I've also come to love that hop aroma from IPAs like Bell's Two-hearted.

Someone mentioned sour beer. I just got to try my first sour beer at the home brew club this Sat. I thought it was good. It wasn't like any beer I've every tasted. I didn't even think it tasted like what I think beer "should" taste like, but I liked it and asked for more. Anyone know what a Belgium sour red is called. It starts with a "F".

Someone mentioned sour beer. I just got to try my first sour beer at the home brew club this Sat. I thought it was good. It wasn't like any beer I've every tasted. I didn't even think it tasted like what I think beer "should" taste like, but I liked it and asked for more. Anyone know what a Belgium sour red is called. It starts with a "F".

Flanders Red

Yea, I really don't like beer. I'm mostly in it for the beer pr0n and brew-babes. I actually have been secretly dumping all my brews and making up excuses about how I ruined it. Ya know, the typical stuff...my airlock stopped bubbling after 4 days, or I saw a dog hair in my bottling bucket. Nah, that beer is wasted and would probably make me sick as a dog. Ha! A dog, that was a good joke!:cross:

Seriously though, I read somewhere that in a calendar year, Samuel Adams brews less beer than Budweiser dumps out. I understand that there will be losses in this hobby/industry, but it was something in the millions of gallons range.

With that being said, BMC are big businesses without a doubt. Profits and economies of scale are of utmost importance to them. Now don't get me wrong, I still drink BMC (actually Pabst is my preferred and I haven't had a Bud that I've enjoyed). These beers are mass produced, and squeezing out the most profit for the least amount of inputs is how their game is played.

On the other end of the spectrum, micro breweries offer a vast array of premium products for a higher price and higher perceived/actual quality. A lager made by BMC wont necessarily be as tasty as a $8.00/6pack local microbrew lager, but either one will cool you down after working out in the yard on a hot summer day if served at 33F.

Case in point, Heineken is another mega-brewer that produces a lager beer. In the US at least, because it is an import, it can command a higher price because it is perceived to be of higher quality. The difference between Heineken vs. BMC is slight, IMHO, but it is all about perception.

Personally, from an "I like beer" standpoint, I consider Budweiser to be one lager, Miller another, Coors another. That is 3 beers. I don't care that these three recipes capture 70%+ of the USA market. They are only 3 beers. I have tasted thousands of different beers, and not surprisingly, BMC don't rate too high on my scale of enjoyment. If I want a cheap refresher, they'll cut it. But not much else.

I like beer. An old recipe Schlitz is one of my favorites! My grandpa used to drink it and Pabst so, there is that connection there. OPB (other peoples beer) is good too. I prefer mine that I brew, but I'll drink what's available at the time.

I like beer. I don't like all of them out there. Don't like Miller Chill at all. Hate wheat beers. Gag at Blue Moon.

I like food. I don't like all of the food out there. I wouldn't eat at Wendy's if you paid me.

I like coffee. I don't particularly like Starbucks.

I like wine. I won't drink Arbor Mist "wines".

I like sex. I don't particularly like, well, never mind. :D

So, what's your point? The fact that we have different tastes and like different beers makes us abnormal? The fact that most of us brew because we like better beer than most of us can buy? Most of us LOVE beer, that's why we brew.

That's like saying that if I don't like Prego, I don't like spaghetti. To me, Prego is the Killians of spaghetti sauce. Mass produced, too sweet, and not at all what I'd get at a restaurant.

But, my homemade spaghetti sauce is killer. It's designed to my taste, my preferences, with homegown basil, garlic, onions, and tomatoes. My beer is the same way.

I can't stand Light American Lager, but I'll happily slug a Miller Lite or PBR that's handed to me at a rugby match.

It's not snobbery or being disingenous to be discriminating and have standards.

Wow, this got a lot of responses quick. No I'm not saying a person needs to like every single beer that's ever been created. I just think that if someone likes 0.1% of all the beers out there and hates the other 99.9%, it's misleading to say that they like beer. They like some beer, but they don't like beer categorically.

Who are "they"? I can't think of one person out of the more than 30,000 members here that like 0.1% of beers.

I enjoy one example or another of probably 90% of the BJCP styles. I don't care for most of the mass-produced stuff, and will politely turn down one if offered unless I'm hot and/or thirsty.

So do I like beer? I'd answer "yes," but categorize me as you will. /shrug

Seriously? That wrapped up pie calzone thingy with the Peanuts characters on it? You don't like that? That's the best pie in the world!

MMMMMm. apple pie calzone with Lucy on it and a Miller Genuine Draft. MMMMmmm. I'm a real pie eater/beer drinker.

I like many kinds of beer, but not many of the mass produced Am. lagers.

I will say this... I'm no Reinheitsgebot freak or anything, but if you give me a well-brewed beer that was made only with barley, water, hops and yeast, there's a good chance I'm going to like it.

There's nothing wrong with an adjunct here or there. Heck, there are some fantastic Belgians made with plenty of sugar. But at it's core, it's foundation, that's what beer is to me... barley, water, hops and yeast. So, yes, I like beer.

There's lots of beers that I do not prefer, but that does not mean I don't like them or won't drink them. If I'm at a bar and all they have is yellow fizz (this does not happen often to me :) ) then I will order yellow fizz. It's better (a little) than water at least.

'm with Yoop on this one. Who is "they" you speak of. I don't see anyone on this board talking about only like stouts, or only like this or that. We all have preferences, and to say you don't is a blatant lie. (Not saying that's what you're saying)

Would you say a wine critic doesn't like wine if he/she gives negative reviews to over 50% of the wines they tried? What kind of self hate would they have to have then? :) If you ask me, some people are more discriminating of what particular styles and flavors they like. It shouldn't mean that they are complete snobs and won't be open to trying new beers, though. For myself, I like most ales and only a few lagers. I wouldn't refuse BMC when offered....but I still wouldn't buy a pack to unwind: they're pretty flavorless IMO, so I'd rather have something else. Just as I don't badmouth those people who do like BMC or even those HBT members who prefer lagers over ales. It just shows a diversity of people's preferences.....and why it's good that we do have many styles and brewers from which to chose from.

'm with Yoop on this one. Who is "they" you speak of. I don't see anyone on this board talking about only like stouts, or only like this or that. We all have preferences, and to say you don't is a blatant lie. (Not saying that's what you're saying)

I think of "they" as the snobs at Beer Advocate. Sorry if that offends anyone, but thats just the feeling I get when I go there.

I think you will find that MOST people here like all beer. Thats what drove us to homebrewing in the first place. We can reproduce any style we want. Yes, stouts and IPA's are very popular beers. Yes, you will find people that say "the only real beer is stout". I find there is much less snobbery around here than over at Beer Advocate.

You also mentioned people turning their noses up at mass marketed "craft beer" like Blue moon etc. I turn my nose up at Blue Moon because for the same price, I can find a better representation of the Belgian Wit style. I find most of the BMC branded craft offerings rather bland and uninspired. I think a lot of people take a sense of pride in supporting smaller breweries who actually need our money.

A lot of my BMC buddies have are loyal to certain brands of BMC. Really it makes sense. If they are so close minded that they only like one style (Light American Lager), then it makes sense that through marketing and advertising, they will develop a liking for a certain brand.

Personally, the only style I can't stand is Rauchbier

I love women but believe me there are some that I wouldn't even go near. Llike beer, there are some that are just plain nasty, skanky, skunky and downright crazy or infected :cross:

brian_g, you are an awesome guy. I'll admit to not liking certain styles and complaining about the BMC beers. If those account for 80% (guess) of the beer in our country, then I guess I only like 20% of the beers available. I think it is absolutely cool that you are as happy with miller as 3 philosophers. I think I need to strive for the same contentment myself. Thanks for your post.

for some reason, the only beer i could think of while i was reading the OP was arrogant bastard......

I find it amusing how particular people can be about the what beer they like. It's not just those who like the craft brews either. People who only drink light BMC beer are just as picky.

I had a Coors lite this weekend. I detected a subtle hop flavor that tasted like Hallertau followed by note of caramel. The hops are subtle, not overwhelming at all. You really have to go hunting for the flavor. You can almost miss them if you drink it too fast. Maybe that's the problem, you folks are drinking it too fast.

LOL your post made me chuckle,
and i totaly get what you are saying

but its just the way it is , not likeing some thing is the glue that binds us,
sure we all like beer or the idea of it, but so does are brother inlaw or fishing buddys
we dont have to come here for that.

but to ***** about BCM with other beer intellectuals, and flont our discerning pallet
by proclaming american lager is hog piss, establishes your place in a elite club.

bitching is just how people talk , its fun intersting and a compleat story becase it has an antagonist and protagonist.

but really most people here arnt like that,this is hands down the best homebrew forum. its just that there are so many people here that someone is not going to like something just feel compled to let use know.

I think of "they" as the snobs at Beer Advocate. Sorry if that offends anyone, but thats just the feeling I get when I go there.
Personally, the only style I can't stand is Rauchbier
+1

Back