green furry on my beer stage 2 ? :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Ugh well it has been 5 weeks and I thought I would check on one of my carboys... Look what I found...

So,. I have green / blue fuzzy crap on it... I took a little sample and tasted the beer. It tastes fine but a little spicy. like minor burning to mouth for a few min after tasting.

The beer is supposed to be a red ale.
kit = brewhouse red ale.
added = a little extra dextros and a little bag of dry red ale hops.

Should I let it be for another week or 2? Should I move 90% of it to a diff carboy and toss the fuzzy wuzzies or should I toss the entire thing?

I cleaned it with the pink stuff as well as everything that touched it so I dont think it was contaminated from my stuff... There is no veins in the beer just the top with some thick arms going down half a inch under the green rug that my flashlight picked up..

HELP!!

28-01-09_2114.jpg

OHHH man! That's gross and really depressing to see :( I know brew house kits are expensive but I don't think I'd try to save any of it. It'll be full of spores anyways so the same thing will likely happen to it once it's bottled.

Did you sanitize the cap around the bag of wort before you poured it into the primary?

OHHH man! That's gross and really depressing to see :( I know brew house kits are expensive but I don't think I'd try to save any of it. It'll be full of spores anyways so the same thing will likely happen to it once it's bottled.

Did you sanitize the cap around the bag of wort before you poured it into the primary?

Oh no i didnt... Crap.. yeah these guys arent cheap.

Il keep it till tomorrow and gather some courage to toss it... :( its my baby.. need to say goodbye

I am kind of a non quitter. I took a fine coffee filter. Stuck it at the end of my auto syphon and spent 35 min sucking out 80% of this stuff into another clean carboy.

I see no traces of the crap yet and after adding more dextros the burning flavour went away.

I will let it sit 2 weeks in this carboy and will let you guy know what happens. Good lord I hope no spores got through the filter....

That's a bummer man. I've been lucky so far (crosses fingers) and haven't had a bad batch yet. I know that eventually everyone gets one, so I'm dreading the day when it happens. Wish you luck with your filter!

you added hops to the fermenter? Were they pellet hops? That right there looks to me like your fermentation restarted, and when it did, it offgassed co2 and the co2 bubbles brought some of the hop gunk with it when they rose to the surface, and some of the bubbles are still buoying. Just my 2 cents...looks a lot like hop gunk from pellet hops.

you added hops to the fermenter? Were they pellet hops? That right there looks to me like your fermentation restarted, and when it did, it offgassed co2 and the co2 bubbles brought some of the hop gunk with it when they rose to the surface, and some of the bubbles are still buoying. Just my 2 cents...looks a lot like hop gunk from pellet hops.

oooh i hope so... If this is the case in 2 weeks I should still have clear clean beer then I can bottle it without any worries :)

Edit* yes they were the ones that come freeze dried in a package and they look like little pills that disolve into green pools when dropped into the beer.

I'm with Evan. I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted (well, other than it's too dark to really see anything). Don't throw anything out, not yet.

I'm with Evan. I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted (well, other than it's too dark to really see anything). Don't throw anything out, not yet.

Yeah I can't really tell what is happening in the picture. Maybe get a shot with better lighting and we could see if it's infected or just hops.

you added hops to the fermenter? Were they pellet hops?

That's what I was thinking. Only thing that threw me was the burning sensation, which sounds like some kind of off-flavor that a bug would throw off.

Yeah, the picture doesn't show a whole lot of detail, but the first time you dry hop with pellets, you will be shocked how they dissolve into a million green flakes floating around and creating a hop surface on the top. I sure was.

My apologies if I gave bad advice, I don't know anything about adding hops. Although the fact that you said it looked "fuzzy" is what put me off. Once again I hate to be a spoil sport but some spores are as small as a couple of microns in diameter, probably too small for a coffee filter to catch.

I'm glad that you're trying to save your brew though, don't get me wrong! Best of luck, I'll be watching this thread with great anticipation.

Well it has been 24 hours and nothing is formin on top of the beer since it has been moved :p

phew!

I will take another pix when I get home to show you guys.
I think I was just over reacting to the sludge the hops made on the beer. When I went to wash the carboy the sludge basically was liquid and streamed out. It did not have any strings or tails or anything so I think you guys were right and I was just horrified over nothing.

Thanks again

I brewed a lager and at one stage it looked very similar to what you are describing. When I let it warm up before transferring to the 5 gal carboy to lager it restarted fermentation and all the little ugly hop chunks fell out.

EDIT: And it tasted fine.

Back