Is fermenting too warm really that bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Well I made the mistake of not watching the weather. Today will be close to 80 degrees outside and I have a batch fermenting in the closet. The room will probably keep at 70, add in fermentation and the wort may climb to 75-78 degrees. I am making a white house porter with Danstar Nottingham yeast. The website says for optimum fermentation the temps should be between 57-70 degrees. So, if my beer ferments at 75 degrees will that be a real bad thing? I know the warmer conditions will make it ferment fast and create an estery aroma, which is normal for this english style yeast.

The problem is that I am at work for 2 days so there is no way I can control the temps. My wife hates my hobby, there is no way she is willing to help unfortunately. I know this beer will be drinkable but what effects am I looking at due to these conditions?

The OG was 1.060, not too high. There is plenty of sugar for the yeast so I hope the yeast doesn't stall out in just a few days. If any damage is done, is there any way that the yeast will clean up over time in primary? I plan on leaving it in primary for 3 weeks and then transfering to secondary for a week or two so i can get another batch going. Also I keg my beer, so aging in the bottle will not be an option. Any advice would help...thanks :mug:

Depends at what stage of fermentation the temperature raises. When the temperature rises out of the optimal range for fermentation the yeast put off some pretty rough flavors. Time does not heal those nasties. I like to try and keep my fermentation at the lower end of optimal throughout fermentation and tend to get cleaner flavored beers that way.

You might get a bit of some fruity esters in there, but at temps around 70 I certainly wouldn't panic. I'm confident that it will turn out just fine.

To be more precise,the worst time for high temps in during initial fermentation. That time at the beginning when fermentation is most vigorous. After that,temps aren't quite as critical. And giving the beer another 3-7 days after FG is reached gives the yeast time to clean up some off flavors from the high temps. These compounds are produced normally.
But it's the high temps that raise their levels high enough to where they become off flavors. The yeasties feed on these when all the simple sugars are gone,cleaning up the beer & then settling out.

Something I forgot to say above, make a swamp cooler! Its easy and will save the beer!

I would have if I knew that the weather was going to be so warm. Poor planning for sure on my part.

When did it start fermenting? It won't terrible if it has been 4 or or 5 days at least but it is still quite not good. No place at all in the house it could be moved to that stays cooler?

I pitched Monday night. Fermentation began 12 hours after I pitched. So it's only been about 2 days and when I checked this morning before leaving for work the airlock was active. The 5 gal bucket could be moved down stairs where its a bit cooler. However its probably too heavy for my wife to move down stairs and she hates anything that has to do with homebrewing.

You'd think somebody who's been a member of this forum for 4+ years would have some constructive advice.

You might get a bit of some fruity esters in there, but at temps around 70 I certainly wouldn't panic. I'm confident that it will turn out just fine.

I will drink regardless :tank: Just wondering what i should expect since I am still a noob.

Do you have a working example you could post pics?

There are many threads on this. Google is your friend.

To be more precise,the worst time for high temps in during initial fermentation. That time at the beginning when fermentation is most vigorous. After that,temps aren't quite as critical. And giving the beer another 3-7 days after FG is reached gives the yeast time to clean up some off flavors from the high temps. These compounds are produced normally.
But it's the high temps that raise their levels high enough to where they become off flavors. The yeasties feed on these when all the simple sugars are gone,cleaning up the beer & then settling out.

Unfortunately the temps are high and its been only 2 days. I hope the yeast will clean up nice as i am in no rush to get this into my keg.

You'd think somebody who's been a member of this forum for 4+ years would have some constructive advice.

What do you want from the guy? He gave you the answer.

Yes, Nottingham at or above 75 will taste terrible. I lost power 4 days into a Irish Red with Nottingham. It went from 70 to 80 in the course of a day, and stayed there for the next several weeks. Bottled it up and it's by far the worse beer I've ever brewed.

Or, don't believe me.

You're lucky I got here before revvy, who would have linked the 4000 similar threads you failed to search. But since you want to play it that way, enjoy your banana beer next time while utilizing the search function.

:mug:

You're lucky I got here before revvy, who would have linked the 4000 similar threads you failed to search. But since you want to play it that way, enjoy your banana beer next time while utilizing the search function.

:mug:

I always research. Nothing I found mentioned high temps with nottingham. Maybe I missed it with the 4000 threads on this subject.

Anyways...I am still a noob, and surely I will have a bad batch at some point in my homebrewing carreer. I am just looking for some honest feedback. If horrible beer is what I should expect from this and there is no way to fix it, then thank you for the honest feedback. I hope this beer doesn't turn out too bad.

I see the uptight brigade has already weighed in. Unfortunately with all their scathing belittlement they are probably right. How many off flavors you encounter and if they are off flavors you can handle you'll find out the hard way I suppose.

I always research. Nothing I found mentioned high temps with nottingham. Maybe I missed it with the 4000 threads on this subject.

Anyways...I am still a noob, and surely I will have a bad batch at some point in my homebrewing carreer. I am just looking for some honest feedback. If horrible beer is what I should expect from this and there is no way to fix it, then thank you for the honest feedback. I hope this beer doesn't turn out too bad.

The best help I could offer was a YES high temps are BAD.

You thought I should have offered more, others already were, why do I need to duplicate?

I hope the yeast will clean up nice as i am in no rush to get this into my keg.
You'd think that someone who's put the money into a kegging system would have learned one of the most basic fundamental of brewing first.

Oh, and I've been here 6 years and I agree with cheezydemon3. The answer to your question is a big yes.

:cross::drunk::eek:

Not my battle - But I will chime in to say: The search on this site is horrendous. Also, would be nice if the mods/admins merged and deleted a few hundred of those 4k threads. All that noise just turns into search fodder.

Unfortunately, this may be your bad batch. The yeast are almost certainly still actively fermenting your beer after only two days.

Those temps are really high for Notty. I try to keep it between 59-62 for a clean flavor profile.

However it turns out, take the beer all way through the bottling/kegging process. If it sucks, let it age a bit. (I'm not suggesting time heals all wounds, because it doesn't) Some of the undesired flavors may mellow a bit. I've never had them totally age out, but they've become a bit more subdued over time.

Really, the best thing you can take from this experience (besides ignoring someone who's trolling you) is to always take precautionary steps if you're going to be away/unavailable to tend to your beer. Remember, temp control, along with pitching the proper amount of healthy, viable yeast and sanitation, are the keys to make quality beer.

I hope it turns out well for you.

Unfortunately, this may be your bad batch. The yeast are almost certainly still actively fermenting your beer after only two days.

Those temps are really high for Notty. I try to keep it between 59-62 for a clean flavor profile.

However it turns out, take the all the way through the bottling process. If it sucks, let it age a bit. (I'm not suggesting time heals all wounds, because it doesn't) Some of the undesired flavors may mellow a bit. I've never had them totally age out, but they've become a bit more subdued over time.

Nicely done. That's what's up!

I basically ruined my first brew with high temps but it was much warmer than 75 I was probably over 80 because it was actually a little warm to the touch. My in house temps are almost always around 70 but on the first few days I always make sure to have frozen bottles of water all around it since my first one was so bad. So I am not sure how much off flavors you will get in that range but I would expect at least some.

Protip: Google for threads using "homebrewtalk" or "site:homebrewtalk.com" at the beginning of your query.

The board search returns results sorted by age, newest first. Google returns results sorted by relevance, regardless of age.

Yeah that or an administrator could just roll up their sleeves and fix it. I'm pretty sure that given the right access, I could zap the existing searchbar and replace it with the Google Advanced search someone oddly plugged in underneath it.

This subject has come up SO many times, and this board has a HUGE problem with reposts, repeat questions, etc. Had me asking myself this weekend: What am I paying for?

All true enough. But it's also about helping the noobs as the more experienced types helped you when you were a noob. I must be getting to the point where I'm beginning to enjoy it. Kinda like Max said to phee phee.

So there's a good chance the beer will taste like s**t and time won't fix it? I guess this will be my lessoned learned although I had high hopes for this beer. I think I like brewing in the winter time better as providing heat is easier than providing cool air. Sorry if I stirred up some old topics and I appreciate the input. This site has taught me everything I know about brewing without the need to start many threads. I think I just have a handful of threads since I became a member.

So there's a good chance the beer will taste like s**t and time won't fix it? I guess this will be my lessoned learned although I had high hopes for this beer. I think I like brewing in the winter time better as providing heat is easier than providing cool air. Sorry if I stirred up some old topics and I appreciate the input. This site has taught me everything I know about brewing without the need to start many threads. I think I just have a handful of threads since I became a member.

It's been my experience that beer fermented warm will have undesired esters and fusel alcohols. It may mellow a bit with time, but more likely than not be flawed. How much is really unknown until you begin to drink it. Also, some people's palette are more sensitive to esters/fusels than others. You've come this far, might as well see it through the whole process.

Additionally, this place is called homebrewTALK not homebrewSEARCH. Ask any question that comes to mind.

I'd think the opposite is true.

So I should see a lower FG? I thought maybe the higher temps would result in higher ABV before the yeast had a chance to multiply, and the alcohol would kill off most of the yeast.

So I should see a lower FG? I thought maybe the higher temps would result in higher ABV before the yeast had a chance to multiply, and the alcohol would kill off most of the yeast.

The alcohol wouldn't ever reach high enough to kill off the yeast even if it fermented to 1.000.

Nottingham tends to produce a ton of fusels when it gets that warm, so you should expect a harsh flavor similar to nail polish remover. It will fade slightly with extended aging, but it will never go away. I hope it's at least drinkable and not a total loss for you.

Tbh, I've got no idea whether or not it'll finish lower. I do know that I raise my temps when I'm near terminal gravity to eek out a few extra gravity points.
Re: higher abv, yeast are quite able at 10 percent and above, yeast strain dependant, of course.

Off flavors due to heat are a myth really...

I always pitch my yeast directly in the wort immediately after the boil, put an airlock and bam! Never had to use a blowoff tube and never got any off flavors, plus the beer is super sweet exactly as I like it! Yeah...! Brewing whoooooo!!! B-)

Off flavors due to heat are a myth really...

I always pitch my yeast directly in the wort immediately after the boil, put an airlock and bam! Never had to use a blowoff tube and never got any off flavors, plus the beer is super sweet exactly as I like it! Yeah...! Brewing whoooooo!!! B-)

I actually keep my fermener boiling when I pitch the yeast. It ferments out in like 30 minutes.....:drunk:

I have found that time (like 6 months) will do a lot to fix fusels and off flavors. My advice? Start another batch.

Proper chilling before pitching is KEY. I used to think "72F, I will put it in a cool place and it will cool some more"

No way. Warm wort wakes up yeast and they hit the town RUNNING.

Chill to 65, pitch, swamp cooler (t shirt and a fan in the tub was my trick...but don't put the fan in the tub) and no problems.

I've had the opposite problem: too low of temperature. Not running the heat in the house at night, the house temp can drop to 60, even 58 if it snows outside. Daytime temp peaks at 68.

I bought a strip thermometer and put it on the glass fermenter: 65 degrees, will check in the morning when it is coldest. What would be a BAD temperature? Below 60?

edit: Weiss bier, 68 is recommended fermenting temp.

I actually keep my fermener boiling when I pitch the yeast. It ferments out in like 30 minutes.....:drunk:

I have found that time (like 6 months) will do a lot to fix fusels and off flavors. My advice? Start another batch.

Proper chilling before pitching is KEY. I used to think "72F, I will put it in a cool place and it will cool some more"

No way. Warm wort wakes up yeast and they hit the town RUNNING.

Chill to 65, pitch, swamp cooler (t shirt and a fan in the tub was my trick...but don't put the fan in the tub) and no problems.

Cheesy are you off your meds again? Your arguing with your alter ego again bro. ;)

Back on topic. My first beer was a brown using notty and also fermented way to warm. Probably 75-78f and was a tad harsh.... Well let's just say it was drinkable...barely.

I've had the opposite problem: too low of temperature. Not running the heat in the house at night, the house temp can drop to 60, even 58 if it snows outside. Daytime temp peaks at 68.

I bought a strip thermometer and put it on the glass fermenter: 65 degrees, will check in the morning when it is coldest. What would be a BAD temperature? Below 60?

edit: Weiss bier, 68 is recommended fermenting temp.

There's no one answer to your question, unfortunately, especially with a wheat beer. Wheat beers can be German style, with cloves and banana esters, and too low a fermentation temp will inhibit the development of those esters. But for cleaner American-style wheat ales, low fermentation temps are just fine.

I routinely ferment ales from 60-62F. With some yeasts like Nottingham, you can definitely go lower and it will attenuate just fine.

Back