Most beautiful place you have ever been

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Pistolero said:
Last time I was there (11 years ago I think) it was pretty much bumper to bumper driving thru the park...is it still that busy? It is some incredible scenery tho. :)
Depends on the time of year you go. 4th of July is very busy (that's been the only time I've been there when I would call it bumper to bumper traffic), and the rest of July is pretty busy as well. The best thing to do in that area is get out on to the trails. Most just pass through and see things via their cars. There are some incredible sights to be seen on the trails. We usually go in July or early August and I've never thought the crowds were too much...then again, I don't spend too much time in Estes Park, but stay within RMNP as much as I can. The Estes Park Brewery is worth my time to leave RMNP!

--Aaron:mug:

Great Smokies National Park is bumper to bumper from Spring until Fall, but practically deserted in the winter. The funny thing is, only the area around Gatlinburg, TN is crowded where there is a lovely paved road and short hikes from improved parking lots. The other 90% of the park is practically deserted all year and just as beautiful!

Baron von BeeGee said:
Great Smokies National Park is bumper to bumper from Spring until Fall, but practically deserted in the winter. The funny thing is, only the area around Gatlinburg, TN is crowded where there is a lovely paved road and short hikes from improved parking lots. The other 90% of the park is practically deserted all year and just as beautiful!
We went there a few years back and the traffic was un"bear"able, especially when everyone was out of their cars trying to get a picture of the bears.:D Hell, I wanted to smear a couple of those buttheads with some A-1 sauce and call the bears over for dinner.

RMNP has some absolutely beautiful backpack trips off the main road. i've been both ways, just driving, snd actualkly exploring the park, and god most people miss out. kinda like people who have only seen the grand canyon, from the top, which is most people, when the real way to experioence it is to throw on those boots and take the 8 mile trip down to the river and actually get to know why its so 'grand'. never been to yosemite, but i hear thats the worst for traffic (and the real way to edxperience that? climb El Capitan.)

The Rock of Cashel in Ireland:

25081570.crP6290116.jpg

i can't find the post, but it was about what estes park is famous for...is it the hotel that the shining was filmed at? my parents honeymooned there...

HB99-glad your alright. i'd probably never put a pair of climbing shoes on again...

drengel said:
i can't find the post, but it was about what estes park is famous for...is it the hotel that the shining was filmed at? my parents honeymooned there...

HB99-glad your alright. i'd probably never put a pair of climbing shoes on again...
I've climbed since then, even a 1000+ ft cliff.:D

I was there in May '03 - that's not my pic, just one I pulled off the web.

The view from on top of the Rock was awesome. Pretty much anywhere in Ireland is beautiful, though.

Yeah, I drove almost 1100 miles in Ireland. We stayed in B&Bs everywhere.

We were in Slane the day AFTER U2 played at Slane Castle and recorded their concert...talk about bad timing...:(

I lived in Germany for 9 years and am well traveled, but I have to say that the Irish were the FRIENDLIEST people we met in all of Europe.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Yeah, I drove almost 1100 miles in Ireland. We stayed in B&Bs everywhere.

We were in Slane the day AFTER U2 platyed at Slane Castle and recorded their concert...talk about bad timing...:(

I lived in Germany for 9 years and am well traveled, but I have to say that the Irish were the FRIENDLIEST people we met in all of Europe.:D

That's what we did, too - rented a car and just drove all over the country. B&B's are much cheaper than hotels, and usually nicer too. Only way to do it.

I hear you about them being friendly - We were in a pub one night and an old crusty guy sat down next to us and started drinking with us. When he found out we were from America he started singing Johnny Cash songs because he was his favorite singer (Mine too). Then he gave us his address and wanted us to crash at his house - I was going to mail him a Johnny Cash album when we got back to the States, but I lost the address:mad:

I still remember his name, though - Daniel O'Keefe from Kildare.

Back