Altering Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe_and_jeep

Reaction score
I got a Mr. Beer for Christmas. I usually drink Straub which claims no added sugar or preservatives. I want to brew with less sugar. I am somewhat sugar sensative. Suggestions?

Sugar sensitive? I dont think that you should have too much of an issue with the 'sugar' as this is what the yeast eats to create your alcohol. If im not mistaken, your beer will have little to NO sugar (viable sugar) in your brew provided its finished fermenting.
-Me

That's a tricky question to answer, Joe. It depends on what type of sugar(s) you are sensitive to. Joemama is mostly correct about beer having little residual "sugar". Most beer contains a few grams of residual carbohydrates in the form of unfermentables, but don't be mistaken; starch may be unfermentable, but humans can handle it with no problem.

The tricky part of your question, is that you can't have beer without sugar. So it's impossible to make beer without sugar. But good news for you (as I mentioned above) there is little remaining sugar in the finished beer.

I would recommend that you make only "small" low alcohol beers though. They will have less residual sugar than other "big" beers with lots of alcohol.

TBH I got a Mr Beer kit from my Dad like 6 or 7 years ago never did anything with it all the malts and yeast have since lost their prime

but I have the rest of the kit

now I have three primaries going

but wonderin if there is something I CAN DO WITH THIS PARTY PIG FROM mR bEER

lol

:mug:

Straub Beer PA Microbrew All Natural Beer St. Marys PA 15857

Beers like Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, Yuenling Light don't bother me at all. Heffeweizens do pretty good too. I drank Golden Monkey which is a Spiced Ale with 9.5% alc and I had no problems with 1, but didn't drink another. Fruity Ales seem to give me problems. Troegenator Doublebock was way too sweet. I've only had a few Oktoberfests and still up in the air on sweetness. I dunno about Pilsners, only had 2 different ones. 1 I was fine, but not the other one. Only had one IPA and that was a peach flavored and that gave me problems. Never tried a non spiced one.

Problem is I really enjoy all these beers. Just my body don't. I have problems with refined sugars. Cool with carbs for the most part. This is why I am usually forced to drink light beers. Always on the quest for a good beer that agrees with me. Straub is one of them.

Back