Notty and S-04...what are the different characteristics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Liquid yeast is waaayyyy to expensive for me ($7:(). I was going to be using some white labs english or london ale yeast for my english ales and have been looking into the english dry yeast. The two big ones I know of are Notty and S-04. Do these strains produce similar characteristics for an English ale? Which one would you choose?

I use Nottingham probably more than I should. I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that Nottingham attenuates a little more than S-04. Another thing is Notty is more tolerant of higher temps. They're both great though...

I use Nottingham probably more than I should. I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that Nottingham attenuates a little more than S-04. Another thing is Notty is more tolerant of higher temps. They're both great though...

Thanks...for my Northern brown i will use notty so it will come about a bit dryer like i like it and then for my mild i will use S-04 to keep it a little sweet. Thanks

I feel notty comes out cleaner than S-04. Since notty was so hard to find I've been using S-04 and really like it for my english bitters. I'll get notty and use it again for my dry stout and browns but I don't think you can go wrong with either yeast.

Viva la seco!

If you're familiar with Danstar's Windsor, that is a closer comparison to the S-04. The US-05 is very comparable to Nottingham.

In fact, I've been planning to do a nice clean ale and split the wort between 05 and notty...just to see if I can tell ANY difference.

Try yeast washing and repitching on top of yeast cakes. A $7 vial of liquid yeast can last for a VERY LONG time if you wash and repitch.......

I think it's just me, but I could pickup some flavor with Notty that I don't like. Extract to all grain from IPA's to Ambers. Just don't like it.

Just don't like it.

That is interesting to me! I've NEVER heard ANYONE say that about Notty! It's like the YooperBrew of the yeast selection. It's just so nice and easy to get along with, you almost can't help but like it...But I'm sure there are people that don't like her too.

Now I'm definitely going to have to split a batch and see what comes of it.

I can pick out every Notty brew I've tried. I can't describe the taste, but it's a flavor that's consistent from extract to all-grain, across all beer styles, and various brewers?

My point is that liquid yeast is really as cheap as the Notty if you are washing and repitching.

I will wash the yeast and re-use but liquid is not necessary for some beers. If I am brewing something that just needs to have liquid or it won't taste quite to style then I will get it...i just feel stupid buying liquid yeast for $7

I agree that Notty is a bit cleaner than 04 but 05 is even cleaner. as for attenuatin 05 is the champ..quick clean and dry. 04 does not attenuate as well but what it does to is go quick like 05.... and it clears and compacts at the bottom..my home grown hop ale I did a 10 gal with 5gal of 05 yeast and 5gallons of 04 and the 04 was crystal clear at day 5....amazing

I would go with notty personally for english ales and 05 for all others..IMO

Jay

Back