Using oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
What concentration (i.e. X/gallon) of oxyclean is recommneded for cleaning brewing equipment?

I have found that it doesn't take much. I usually use around 1/8 cup for a couple gallons. If you use much more it takes a lot more rinsing. I don't think there is a specific amount you have to use. If I am trying to remove a stain or for soaking bottles I will use more. I haven't found anything that takes labels off bottles better - soak for a couple hours and most fill fall right off.

I don't know if anyones measured, I haven't...When I'm cleaning out a bucket or carboy post fermentation I just dump 2 big scoops in then fill with hot/warm water....

I buy the big bulk boxes of oxy, so mine has the large scoop, as opposed to the small tablespoon looking sized one in the small containers.

I use 2 tablespoons for 5 gallons...takes the krausen ring right off the carboy overnight.

make sure its Oxyclean FREE! you don't want perfumes in your brew gear, especially anything plastic

The actual formula for cleaning is 1Tbsp per gallon. I usually just use one of the scoop fulls (that come in the bucket) to my 5 gallon kegs, carboys and buckets. I used to use dish washing detergent in my buckets but was using allot of water to rinse. I since have gone to Sodium Percarbonate and water for 24 hours and a rinse (and yes I use the cheap Oxyclean as it does not have detergents).

I used it on my sisters water tank (she has a 500 gallon well) that was badly infected with green slime mold. 10 scoops of cheap Oxyclean and fill it up. Next day it was as fresh as the day we cleaned it (well it was an IBC tote with Root Bear extract).

2 tablespoons for a 6.5 carboy filled to the top is enough for removing the krausen ring.

Back