Last year's wild ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happydad40

Reaction score
I found a 5 gal pail of cider I'd kinda forgotten from last year. It was frozen through the winter but I missed looking after it on spring when it thawed. A week ago I ran into it again. Popped the lid off and behold fairly clear cider with dark looking crud at bottom of pail. Smelled beautifully of Apple's so dipped my finger in and licked. Kinda tart. No bad taste but bit wild. Thot I'd just vinegar it for my livestock. Today I popped lid again and tasted it again and it seemed kinda enjoyable. Boiled some couple cups fresh cider with brown sugar to prime. Added 4 oz each maltodextrin and lactose plus 1/4 oz cascade hops to boil. Racked 3 gal into 3 gal carboy to sit while I tried my experiment on other 2 gal. Racked onto sugar mix. Has a tart bite with bit of hop bitterness and a fairly good mouthfeel. Long clean apple aftertaste. Like still tasting apple few minutes later. I'm thinking carbed it'll be fairly good.
Kinda like "Hopping Mad"cider from central city brewing but with bit more flavor character and bit less hop aroma. A couple glasses definitely had me a bit dizzy. I guess time will tell if it was worth the effortView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440117478.394757.jpg

Latest posts

Back