OK, newbie w/3rd batch:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
I'm using a Brewer's Best recipe for English Brown Ale.

This is my 3rd recipe. For the first 2 recipes (American Red and Scotch Ale) I just waited a week before bottling and each recipe came out pretty well. This time, I am really want to check my gavity readings and be sure that I'm making the best brew possible.

I followed the directions to the "T." After 7 days in my fermenting bucket I checked the brew. My starting gravity was 1.040 on the dot. The bubbling stopped and I took (what I thought was) a final gravity reading and it's 1.02. It should be 1.010-1.012.

Here's my question: Can I add some more yeast and just check it until it's in the proper range, should I wait w/out adding anything, or should I just bottle it and see what happens?

I'm looking for a quick response because I'm on day 8.

TIA,
T

PS - I have some residue on the sides, slightly above the liquid level. Should I stir this in or leave it?

PPS - I have a Brewers Best beer kit.

Try warming it up a few degrees and rousing the yeast by shaking the fermenter. Ignore the crud on the sides, wine makes scrap it in, brewers don't. Give it another week and if the gravity doesn't drop any further, it's done. Sometimes the attenuation (percentage of solids that ferment) isn't as high as we would like, but if the ale tastes good, it's good.

Here's an update:

I warmed it up a bit and shook it up. After 3 more days I got nothing so I bottled.

The taste was excellent at bottling so I'm hoping for a good batch. I also had about the same amount of foam during bottling that I did with my first 2 batches. My guess is that this will be a good, lower-alcohol beer. We'll have to see in 5ish weeks.

Again, thanks to David for your willingness to help.

Go Bears!!!!
T

Back