storing bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
So, I am buying bulk grain and a mill before prices creep up too much more.

How do you guys store grain? I anticipate having some of my specialty grains around for the better part of a year.

I was thinking about investing in some air-tight containers, but I'm not sure if that would be worth it.

My LHBS guy used to keep specialty grains in gallon water jugs with screw tops, seemed to work well.

I've been keeping mine in a plastic bucket that my protein powder comes in. But I've got 110 lbs on the way...so I bought me some of those new extra large ziploc bags...should do the trick. Others have recommended that solution.

As long as you store your grain in a cool, dry place away from bugs and rodents, it should be fine. ;) I keep my 50 lb bags of grain in plastic (Rubbermaid) trash cans. I close the bag as best I can once they are opened and put in the cans with lid on. My specialty malt is stored in zip lock bags and all specialty grains are stored in a plastic trash can. The cans are in my garage where then are cool and dry. These are all whole grains. Milled grains have a much shorter storage life.

Dr Malt:)

I have a big plastic storage bin. I leave all my grains in the bags they came in and store them in the bin. Just roll the top up and stick them in there.

5 gallon buckets(TrueValue 3.99 ea/gasketed lid 2.99).They hold roughly 25lbs each and stack nicely.I buy in bulk and try to keep a couple hundred lbs or more(dozen buckets)on hand.
Cheers:mug:

Latest posts

Back