Ordered a MRB, but got some extras! Help ID them PLZ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2005

Reaction score
So, my MRB should be here tmorrow if UPS Tracking can be trusted.

After work today, I decided to go see my parents. Dad and I were hanging out on the porch drinking a cold one, and talking about Alabama vs Notre Dame coming up in a couple days.

I mention that I ordered a beer brewing starter kit, and I'm going to see if It's something I like. Told him he was going to be my test subject.

He said, "Oh Yeah? Huh." Wandered back into his garage, and gave me what looks like 2 white 5 gallon buckets filled with beer brewing supplies.

Not sure exactly what I have, so here it all is:

I also just noticed that some of the "ingredients" expired back in 1996 HAHAHA

All the pictures are *Clickable Thumbnails*

These are the white buckets. Only 1 of them has a hole drilled in it for (I'm guessing) a tap.

This one is pretty self-explanatory.

Here is where I run into questions:
I get the scrubby brush, not sure what to scrub with it...
The clear hose is for....?
That tiny black cap is for....?
That white and red thing I think is a tap for the side of the bucket.
The clear plastic thing beside it is.....?
The bag of bottle caps are self-explanatory.

This is a Hydrometer... pretty self-explanatory though I don't yet know how to use one.

Here are the two (I'm guessing Premade) beer recipes. They expired in 1996... hahah so I'm guessing my dad had this in his garage for a while!

Here is a big bag of corn sugar. I'm guessing its bad too? How long does it keep for? The above beer premixes expired in 1996...
Also a neat little brewing book, and some cleaner... not sure if that can expire too.
The long clear tube at the bottom I'm guessing and hoping is a bottle wand? It has a small spring in the end of it with a plastic contraption.

Also came with a bunch of "snazzy" directions... hahaha

The bucket with the hole in it is likely your bottling bucket. You put the spigot on it and when ready to bottle, rack the beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket that contains a solution of boiled water and priming sugar).

The scrubby brush is likely for a glass carboy, which you don't seem to have.

The clear hose is used when you rack (transfer) beer from the primary fermenter to the bottling bucket, and then to the bottles. It does not look like you have a racking cane (you will need one). I would recomment getting an auto siphon though, you can google it. They are great for transferring beer.

Not sure what the black thing is, looks like the cap that goes on the end of the racking cane.

The malt extract is fairly old, you may want to consider getting fresh extract (and yeast for that matter).

The dextrose (corn sugar) is fine. It really does not go bad so you can use it.

The long clear tube does in fact look like a bottling wand.

I would grab an autosiphon, some fresh extract and yeast and you'll be on your way to brewing! Good luck!

The clear plastic thing is an airlock. You use it to allow CO2 from fermentation to escape your fermenter without allowing anything bad from the environment to get in.

Fill it with a sanitizing solution (or a lot of people just use cheap vodka or even plain water, but it is better to have something that will kill baddies) and put it in the small hole in the lid of the bucket (if you have one, you didn't mention). If you don't have a lid to your bucket, go to your LHBS and pick one up. It shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Otherwise you can get one online.

Great find, BTW. I wish someone had dumped a setup like that on me when I first got my Mr. B setup.

The extract is Black Rock, a New Zealand brand, and I've had some of my best brews using their hopped malt extract kits:rockin: although, unless the ones you've inherited have been stored at a really constant temperature since before their expiry date, they'll probably make a beer that looks like a Guinness and tastes like dirt:fro: I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt, though. get some new, fresh yeast, some extra malt, around three pounds, open one of the cans and if it isn't pitch black, and doesn't smell hideous, make a batch with it. Actually, it doesn't look like the cans are bloated so there's a chance they might not be too bad.:ban: Never know unless you give it a go:D

welcome to your next addiction:mug:

I wouldn't sue the malt. Just not worth it to me but if you have nothing better to do.
Plus, in the last 10 years the quality of extract malt has greatly improved as has the hop character they malt with. You'd likely do better with taste as well as learning by going to a local brew store (if you have one) or online and reading up a bit about what's out there. You'll benefit greatly from just a little bit of research.

I wouldn't sue the malt. Just not worth it to me but if you have nothing better to do.
Plus, in the last 10 years the quality of extract malt has greatly improved as has the hop character they malt with. You'd likely do better with taste as well as learning by going to a local brew store (if you have one) or online and reading up a bit about what's out there. You'll benefit greatly from just a little bit of research.

good to see you're not overly litigious:D

That's a bottle brush with a racking tube. On the bottom is an Italian spigot,I put one on my bottling bucket because it has a recess on the spout end that fits 3/8" tubing tightly. The next thing is a 3 piece airlock for the bucket lid. I say get some fresh yeast & try the cans. If for nothing else,to get some experience getting a good brewing process down cold.

Wow thank you all so much for the posts!!!

I'll probably give the old malt a shot. What do I have to lose? If its nasty, I'll dump it, and still keep the cans for nostalgia.

Each of the cans have a very small packet of yeast in the lids... I'm guessing that is LONG gone? Where do I buy new yeast packets? I live in Alabama so there aren't any LHBS around.

Also, I do not have any lids for the buckets. Dad lost them over the years I guess, or they are just somewhere in his garage... (LOTS of stuff in there, not organized)

One more question I think. What is a good thermometer to buy? One that I could temp the beer, and the area I store the beer in? My home thermostat isn't' the most accurate thing in the world.

I've seen links to 3 or 4 online home brew supply sites, which one is the best? Could someone link them for me here?

Thanks again for all the responses guys! I'm going to start ordering some more goodies!

PS Was thinking about using one of these Black Rocks just for ****s and giggles, that or a batch of Apfelwein!

When I got burned by my LHBS and looked at a few of the online sources I found MoreBeer to be the best deal.
http://morebeer.com/

You'll need a bucket with a hole in it, as well as a grommet for the air lock. You'll want a fermometer, a floating thermometer, and the auto siphon. You'll need muslin bags or reusable hop bags, and potentially a grain bag. You'll also need a plastic storage bin to fill ~ 1/2 way with water that you'll put your fermenting bucket in, along with frozen soda bottles filled with water (all sizes up to 2 liters). You want to keep the water between 58-66* or so as your beer is likely several degrees warmer than that (I didn't ralize that until I bought a fermometer).

You'll also need about 2 1/2 cases of amber beer bottles. They are expensive so I'd advise you to buy craft beer in pry off tops and save them for use.

Ok, so I may drive over to Pensacola (only 45 minutes away) and find a LHBS there.

So far, my grocery list to complete this set-up is:
Auto-siphon (which takes care of the racking cane too right?)
Lids for the buckets. I'm guessing they are 6.5Gal? Do I need ones with holes drilled in them or not?
Thermometer
Hydrometer test vial/jar

My Dad also has some of those huge water bottles (blue ones) that go on those water machines. Can those be used instead of Carboys?

The auto-siphon is all you need.
1 lid for the fermenting bucket that has a hole in it (~1/2") and a grommet for it. Unless you have more than the fermenting and bottling bucket.
A floating thermometer, and a fermometer, which sticks to the bucket like on a fish tank.
A test jar, yes. I forgot that as I don't use mine. You'll need a wine thief (turkey baster is what I have) to pull the sample of beer to test.
The water bottle might be OK as long as the recycle numbers match food grade.
Don't forget beer bottles. You'll need ~ 2 1/2 case per batch depending on size (5.3 gal fills those), and any more bottle caps if you'll be making more beer than what those can handle.

And a storage container to hold the bucket and water.
And plenty of soda bottles filled with frozen water.

1) Auto Siphon does take care of the raking cane.

2) Bring the buckets to the LHBS. Make sure the lids fit. You don't need to buy ones with holes drilled in them . . . you can drill them yourself. . . but I'd just get the pre drilled ones. Make sure to get appropriate stoppers, if necessary.

3) PET Water Bottles CAN be used as carboys . . . sometimes. There are threads on here talking about it. In general, make sure they're an appropriate type of plastic (check the number on the bottom . . . you want 1 or 2 for the best results, I think, but check to be sure). The issue is making sure you have an appropriately sized stopper.

I went by my local grocer's bakery and picked up 5 ~5.3 gallon food grade buckets for free. Had icing in them, which was a pain to clean out, but now I have too many buckets for free!

A 5.3 gallon bucket can handle ~4.5 gallons of beer.
I'm not sure what size your bucket is, but you'll need to leave ~0.75-1 gallon or so for head space. It foams up. Some people use a blow off tube (~1/4" tubing running into a bottle of sanitizer), and with such I think it'll handle a higher volume.

If you have a 5 gal bucket and will be buying a kit consider that you may need to reduce the volume. This means, if you use all of the ingredients, that it'll be a little darker, a little more bitter (hoppier), and have a higher alcohol content.

I have a really big 50 gallon storage container. Is that good for sanitizing?

I guess I'll have to get the auto-siphon AND the racking cane.

I'm sure the people at the LHBS will be able to guide me through the process :D

In the mean time, MRB just got to my house, so I'll pop my cherry on that!

"...blow off tube (~1/4" tubing running into a bottle of sanitizer)..."

This tube is run through the hole in the bucket lid that the air lock would have gone. You use it for the first several days while it's spewing krausen (foamy stuff). Then afterward you replace the air lock.

The size doesn't matter so much i don't suppose as long as there is room for frozen water bottles too, and the water can cover ~2/3-3/4 of the bucket.

You won't need a large storage container for sanitizing or for a blow off tube. For a blow off tube all you'd need is a plastic juice bottle or a large soda bottle might be enough. Nothing big.

So... here's a question...

Temperature is apparently a big deal. Normally, here where I live (In Southern Alabama) It gets really hot.

I keep my house in the high 60's. Should I wrap the fermentor?

I just got my MRB in the mail today, and plan on pitching the yeast tomorrow.

I need to buy a small thermometer to find out what the temp is in a few dark spots in my house... closets, cabinets, etc...

Think it will be safe to go ahead and brew tomorrow, and pick up a thermometer later on? What thermometer do you guys recommend (Without breaking the bank!)

<--- Budget Brewer!

I'd also like to throw in that I google'd my area, and found a LHBS IN Alabama!!!

They are open tomorrow from 10A-2P. I'm going to try to convince SWMBO to let us swing by there!

Gonna do some research online to see what good prices are.

Gonna try to pick up:
Lids for my brewing buckets
Buy a 6Gal and a 5Gal Better Bucket with caps etc
Auto-siphon
Fermometer & Thermometer

Then, I'll have 3 brewing set-ups!
The Better Bottles, the Brewing Buckets, and a MRB!

Thoughts Gentlemen? Ladies?

If your house gets to the high sixties, your fermentation (especially if you don't get it really cool to start - which is likely because your water is likely pretty warm) will likely reach mid to high seventies. That is pretty warm for fermentation unless you're making a Cali common or something special.

I suggest a swamp cooler. It's a small price to add for a big improvement. Fill a tub with ice water and swap out 2 liter bottles of ice to maintain a temp in the low to mid sixties. Your beer will thank you for it.

If you do nothing to control the temp it will easily get 10* warmer. Most ale yeasts are at their best between 64-70* or so.

I had been just monitoring the water temp with a floating thermometer and keeping the water around 64*. When I bought a fermometer it stated that the temp inside was still about 4* warmer.

A few degrees can mean the difference between an OK beer and a good beer, or at the higher end, whether or not you have created any fusel alcohols, which are nasty!

I live in central Texas where it is quite hot, and I can't keep my house that low or else SWMBO gets very mad. It's roughly 75* in mine. But I have an extra bedroom that seems to be a little cooler and so I keep all of the beer stuff, camping, hunting, etc. in there.

Look into the swamp cooler. Your house temp won't mean much. Unless you make a Belgian beer where the temps can get into the 80's.

I, too, am a budget brewer, and do what I can to reduce my costs or find things to repurpose, such as using 2 qt juice containers for yeast starters and harvesting the yeast after I bottle a batch. I also reuse 1 gal vinegar jugs for chilling top off water, wort chilling water, and harvesting yeast.

Look into "washing yeast" to find how to reuse your yeast. Big cost savings right there. Or you can do as I am going to try next, which is to just make a larger yeast starter and save a 1/3 of it so as not to have to go through the hassle of "washing" the yeast. It only costs about $0.50 in DME to make enough extra....

Here's the floating thermometer I use for $5.95:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18683//Thermometer_-_Floating

Do you know if your LHBS sells grains in exacting amounts?

You ought to compare prices with MoreBeer. Compared to the few others I originally looked into the prices were similar, but they gave free shipping on orders of $59+, which tipped it favorably. But some prices on things were a little better with MoreBeer. The only downside was selling grains by the pound, and LME by the pound starting with 4 lb bags, and a lack of wheat LME.

Any idea as to what type of yeast you'll be buying?

What kind of beer are you making?

So... here's a question...

Temperature is apparently a big deal. Normally, here where I live (In Southern Alabama) It gets really hot.

I keep my house in the high 60's. Should I wrap the fermentor?

I just got my MRB in the mail today, and plan on pitching the yeast tomorrow.

I need to buy a small thermometer to find out what the temp is in a few dark spots in my house... closets, cabinets, etc...

Think it will be safe to go ahead and brew tomorrow, and pick up a thermometer later on? What thermometer do you guys recommend (Without breaking the bank!)

<--- Budget Brewer!

There are ways to rig up fermentation coolers on the cheap... I've been there.

But a small fermentation fridge is not out of reach on a budget. Scour the classifieds near any university at the end of a semester for a dorm fridge. Many will have all the cooling coils in the freezer shelf. Just bend that freezer piece (carefully) down against the back wall of the fridge. You might need to build a small wooden shelf to smooth out the compressor hump. A temperature controller can be had for 20 bucks on eBay or Amazon (the STC-1000 has been discussed to death here). In the end you're talking less than 100 bucks. Maybe 75. Small price to pay for set-it-and-forget it.

I did NOT know about the free shipping on orders over $59!!!

Morebeer is about to get a bunch of my money... hahaha.

rodwha:
Any idea as to what type of yeast you'll be buying? No idea yet... All I have so far, is what came in a small packet with my Mr. Beer. I don't really know much about the different types of yeast... g

What kind of beer are you making? My personal flavor choices are Lagers. Yueingling is one my favorites. I like an occasional Blue Moon, and I enjoy a good stout. I do have to say IPA wins my heart though. I will drink those all day long... which explains the beer gut.

I haven't actually brewed a drop yet. I haven't bought anything except the Mr. Beer, and it came with Mexican Cerveza and some Czech Republic thing... Not too excited about those flavors :(

Probably won't be ordering anything else from Mr. Beer. I'll be going with the PET Better Bottles... or MAYBE the glass ones... but I will most likely grab plastic.

I need 2 right? a 5 Gallon, and a 6 or a 6.5?

As for the mini fridge... well... I HAD one... Read HERE.

I'll get a new one on Craigs List soon. Unless mine is fixable... which I highly doubt... I'll have to hunt down this temperature controller though.

PS. SUCKS even in the WINTER time here, its too hot to brew lol.
On another note, I just got a small thermometer, and my house is 70 on the dot. My garage FEELS colder, but I'm betting the temps out there fluxuate too much?
Funny, when I was doing some reading pre ordering anything, I was worried it would be too COLD in my house lol.

Sounds like you're on the right track to great obsession/hobby. I live in South Alabama, too, so if you need anything, just shoot me a pm. BTW, the best HBS I've found in 'Bama is The Wine Smith in Mobile. They have a pretty good selection and they're reasonably priced. I haven't tried any of the ones in B'ham but TWS has everything I've needed.

Roll Tide!

Ok, so I may drive over to Pensacola (only 45 minutes away) and find a LHBS there.

So far, my grocery list to complete this set-up is:
Auto-siphon (which takes care of the racking cane too right?)
Lids for the buckets. I'm guessing they are 6.5Gal? Do I need ones with holes drilled in them or not?
Thermometer
Hydrometer test vial/jar

You'll need fresh extract mate. There's no sense in using ingredients which are no longer suitable for consumption. All you will do is spend time bottling it, then realizing it is not drinkable. You will also waste money by putting the other ingredients in that brew which you will only pour down the drain. If you are going to the HBS, do yourself a favor and pick up some fresh ingredients.

Thanks guys for the posts!!! RTR Medic! Where abouts are ya in AL? I'm in Daphne.

HopZombie, I agree. I will be buying new ingredients. That shopping list was just the equipment I'd need to brew stuff. I still haven't made up my mind on if I want to go All-Grain, or stick to the premixed LME. I think I'll stay with the premix for now, until I get much more comfortable with the process, and then attempt an All-Grain batch :D

On a related note! I just pitched my first batch! I got my MRB in the mail on Friday, and put it all together tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out well! The closet I put it in was about 64°F. After about an hour, it raised to about 67°F. I'm guessing that is normal due to the fermenting taking place? I could be wrong...

The MRB directions say that 67°-75° is ideal...

I also have a Hydrometer... took a reading right before I put it in the closet. It read 1.027... isn't that a bit low?

I'm hunting for a cheap mini fridge on Craigslist now, so that when my better bottles get here, I'll be ready to have them the perfect temp the whole time. I read that the darker the beer, the lower the fermenting temperature?

Thoughts on this mini fridge? http://mobile.craigslist.org/app/3514631559.html
Here is another neat looking one. http://mobile.craigslist.org/app/3486912362.html

Also, when I buy them, I need a 6 and a 5 gallon Carboy/Better Bucket right?

A quality cheap yeast (ale) is Fermentis US-05. I understand it to be the same strain as White Labs 001 California Ale, which is good (I use it), and Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

A lager will require much colder temps (fermenting in high 40's-mid 50's or so, and then lagering near freezing. They also take longer.

You don't need two unless you plan on doing a secondary, which many don't believe is necessary. That is unless you are adding fruit or something. If you do use a secondary it'll need to be a smaller volume as you don't want much headspace. If your batch is 5.5 gallons you'll want a 5 gal carboy. Marbles can be added to help alter the volume to rid yourself of the headspace issue.

Fluctuating temps are bad. You want to keep it as steady as you can (within reason). Mine stays within 2* I'd guess most of the time. I've had some get closer to 5-6* as I was away too long.

I'd stick with a kit/extract ingredients as all grain is much more involved and much less forgiving. I'm moving slowly in that direction by doing a mini mash once in a while.

Your brew will likely be 10* above room temp without it sitting in a bucket of water, and 4* in a chilled bucket of water. I'm not sure how you are measuring your temp.

Your hydrometer reading is quite low. 1.027 would likely be about a 3% ABV beer, but it's quite likely it wasn't all stirred well. If it was a kit and you followed the directions well it ought to be close enough to what the kit claimed.

"The MRB directions say that 67°-75° is ideal..."

When they say this they mean the beer itself.

The Ale Yeast you mentioned, I found, for $5.75 on Morebeer. Is it a liquid yeast? If so, it recommends 2 day shipping... I should probably just find it at my LHBS right?

As much as I love Lagers, I don't yet have the equipment to cold ferment. I'll have to stick to Ale brewing for now. I really want to try to brew a Cherry Stout, and a fruit flavored wheat beer.

As for the Better Bottle/Carboy sizes, I plan on 5 Gallon batches, and some will have fruit... so should I just buy a 6 and a 5? or a 6.5 and a 5?

"Fluctuating temps are bad." I figured as much. I'm working on finding a mini fridge to be able to ferment in to keep it a constant temp.

I agree with sticking to kits/extracts. Seems a lot easier.

I'm measuring my temp with a cheap little thermometer I got from walmart. It isn't the temp of the brew, its the temp in the closet near the MRB keg.

At least get a stick on thermomenter for the fermenter. You can goto petsmart & get one for an aquarium,same thing. Also,get a set of three lift tube brushes while you're there. They're great for cleaning tubes,spigots,& the like. Both should cost no more than about $5.

Yeah I'm ordering a couple now. Gonna grab a stick on thermometer, and a floating thermometer too.

The US-05 is dry yeast. The other two are liquid.

I've had them send me liquid yeast during the summer with an ice pack with the free shipping (~5 days) without a problem. During the winter there's less problem as it's cold...

The liquid yeast are better if you make a yeast starter (~4 oz of DME in 1qt of water). This is a mini beer (~1.040 gravity or ~4% ABV) to get the yeast active and numerous that you'll make the day before or so. The dry yeast doesn't need this.

You won't necessarily need a fridge with a temp controller, though it's no doubt better and easier. You can take a plastic storage bin and fill it ~1/2 way with water and use old soda/water bottles and freeze them with water inside. I keep my water between 60-64* this way. I rotate bottles about 3 times a day and use everything from 1/2 liter to 2 liter bottles. It takes up a lot of freezer space though. But we have 2 refrigerators.

Have you looked into washing yeast or making larger starters so as to save some yeast for reuse? Saves money. I'm going to make my starters larger as washing yeast is a bit of work. Been doing it though...

Back