• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Keggle in Northern California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was recently pricing BoilerMakers at Northern Brewer and left my browser open while I went to use the restroom. SWMBO walked by and choked at the prices for what she percieves to be a stock pot. I casually mentioned that a Keggle would be less expensive and prevent having to re-upgrade later, at which point she authorized the purchase of one. :rockin:

Looking to buy a Keggle with welded fittings. Would like to be able to mount a ball valve, thermometer and sight glass. It needn't be pretty, but I'd prefer minimal to no dents so I can polish it up in the future.

Located in Northern California. Travel is not a problem. We live near Marysville. The wife works in Lincoln, and we visit the Yuba City and Roseville areas weekly. My father commutes to downtown Sacramento daily. Will be heading down to North Bay (San Ramon/San Leandro) area next Friday evening (12/28/12). Oroville and Chico are not out of the question.

Would gladly take a detour for the right keggle at the right price. NorCal, what ya got?

Was looking at that one earlier. Sent an email this morning, but haven't heard anything back yet.

That's a 2h 35m drive to Sonora, or add 2h 10m to the trip to the North Bay.

Often times I'll get lucky with meeting up with people who live remotely, as they tend to come into the Sacramento area once or twice a month.

thadius856 said:
I was recently pricing BoilerMakers at Northern Brewer and left my browser open while I went to use the restroom. SWMBO walked by and choked at the prices for what she percieves to be a stock pot. I casually mentioned that a Keggle would be less expensive and prevent having to re-upgrade later, at which point she authorized the purchase of one. :rockin:

Looking to buy a Keggle with welded fittings. Would like to be able to mount a ball valve, thermometer and sight glass. It needn't be pretty, but I'd prefer minimal to no dents so I can polish it up in the future.

Located in Northern California. Travel is not a problem. We live near Marysville. The wife works in Lincoln, and we visit the Yuba City and Roseville areas weekly. My father commutes to downtown Sacramento daily. Will be heading down to North Bay (San Ramon/San Leandro) area next Friday evening (12/28/12). Oroville and Chico are not out of the question.

Would gladly take a detour for the right keggle at the right price. NorCal, what ya got?

There is a sanitary welder in Sac (near Auburn @80) that sells quality keggles and Brutus stands. His name is Steve and his number is 9168806815. Kegs with 3 1/2" couplings welded go for $165 and if you bring him a keg he charges 35 a weld and 20 to cut out the lid. He does really nice work.

There is a sanitary welder in Sac (near Auburn @80) that sells quality keggles and Brutus stands. His name is Steve and his number is 9168806815. Kegs with 3 1/2" couplings welded go for $165 and if you bring him a keg he charges 35 a weld and 20 to cut out the lid. He does really nice work.

You, sir, are a God. Thank you!

thadius856 said:
You, sir, are a God. Thank you!

Lol, you are welcome! I ran a digital herms setup using his keg with three ports (full coupler for ball valve/dip tube, one for thermometer and one for thermowell) and a jay bird false bottom.... It was the best Mash Tun I've ever owned.

Marc,

You're the man. Called Steve just a bit ago. He's looking to pick up some Argon on Monday and weld up a few keggles over the next week and something. He said he has couplers and kegs stocked. Score!

He said a 3-coupler version would be $150 and that he already has measurements. Stoked! Would love a keggle with dip tube, thermo and sight glass.

Thanks again.

thadius856 said:
Marc,

You're the man. Called Steve just a bit ago. He's looking to pick up some Argon on Monday and weld up a few keggles over the next week and something. He said he has couplers and kegs stocked. Score!

He said a 3-coupler version would be $150 and that he already has measurements. Stoked! Would love a keggle with dip tube, thermo and sight glass.

Thanks again.

Awesome! He is a really good guy! You're definitely getting a deal at $150 and you will be super happy with his work!

Awesome! He is a really good guy! You're definitely getting a deal at $150 and you will be super happy with his work!

Good to hear.

When you say you got 3½" couplings, are they really 3½" long? Does that interfere with your false bottom or chiller? The only NPT couplings I've seen so far are 1-1/8".

thadius856 said:
Good to hear.

When you say you got 3½" couplings, are they really 3½" long? Does that interfere with your false bottom or chiller? The only NPT couplings I've seen so far are 1-1/8".

No, it was three 1/2" couplings for my mash tun, sorry if that was confusing.

For the same price, maybe slightly less, you may be able to pick up a new brew pot from Spike Brewing.

Updated: The 15 gallon, which would be comparable to the keggle would be slightly more.

I checked out Spike Brewing. While it seems to be a quality operation with a decent product, I was a bit turned off by the fact that he had cross-posted across so many CraigsList regions. More specifically, I'm in CA and seeing his ads from OH.

I'll keep that shop in mind. I think if I were unable to procure a pre-made welded keggle, I'd probably take it upon myself to rig up a weldless setup.

Edit: Not OH. Rather, WI. Even farther.

I checked out Spike Brewing. While it seems to be a quality operation with a decent product, I was a bit turned off by the fact that he had cross-posted across so many CraigsList regions. More specifically, I'm in CA and seeing his ads from OH.

I'll keep that shop in mind. I think if I were unable to procure a pre-made welded keggle, I'd probably take it upon myself to rig up a weldless setup.

Edit: Not OH. Rather, WI. Even farther.

Confused why that turns you off? It's a small company trying to get its name out there using minimum marketing $$$.

Plus the ads are listed For Sale under "Dealer" from what I've seen.

Confused why that turns you off? It's a small company trying to get its name out there using minimum marketing $$$.

Plus the ads are listed For Sale under "Dealer" from what I've seen.

Because when I search for items on CraigsList, I'm specifically looking for something that's available locally, that I can put my hands on and check out before buying, that doesn't require shipping or possibly sales tax, that I know the money is going straight into the seller's pocket without a credit card processor taking a fee. Haggling and trading often go along with it. None of these are the case with this listing.

Not bashing his/her products. They could be very nice. But given the chance to support a local tradesman or a distant marketer, I'll always choose the former.

Well I am pretty sure Spike is a vendor here so he's not really a distant marketer, kinda like an HBT neighbor!

But I understand wanting something local and seeing it in person.

Picked up the Keggle last night. Steve does good work, from what I can tell. I had him deviate from his normal layout to one that Bobby recommended. I think it came out well.

Only disappointment is that it's stamped by a local micro. :( I hope it's legit.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask him, he's a solid, straightforward guy. The one I got from him was definitely from a recycler and started life out as a miller keg that was later rebranded to Alaska with a riveted faceplate. He polished up the faceplate for me and it looked really cool. Yours looks great!

Back