Does malted wheat need a protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

Reaction score
I'm making an AG Witbier and had planned to use flaked wheat but the LHBS didn't have enough. They did have a barrel of malted wheat which said clearly on it "needs a protein rest". But the LHBS guy said he'd just do a sacch rest and be done with it.

I have a Rubbermaid Mash tun, so it's inconvenient to do a step mash, but I can do it. I could put it all in a pot, do the protein rest, then raise it to 150 and dump the whole thing in the mash tun...
Or I could decoct it.

Suggestions?

Do you (or does the shop) have a malt analysis sheet for it?

If the malt is under-modified (needing a protein rest) the Fine/Course extracts will differ by >1.5% or so. If the fine/course extracts are pretty close to one another (<1%), the malt is well-modified and doesn't need a protein rest...in fact a protein rest is usually bad in that case since you'll get a thinner body than intended.

Usually the malt analysis sheet will have a column labeled FG/CG or similar, or you can take the FG & CG and do the math yourself.

Back