How long will hop pellets last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For my first batch, I needed .5 ounces of East Kent Goldings Hops. The smallest package I could buy was 2 ounces. I cut the smallest hole I could in the package, and put the remaining hops, still in the package, in a zip-lock bag and put it in the fridge. I am curious how long they will last there. The main thing I am concerned about is I am considering my next recipe, and wondering if it would be wise to find a recipe that called for the remaining East Kent Goldings.

Put them in the freezer, that should help preserve them a bit longer. They should keep for a few months. I'd recommend using them soon unless you have a means of vacuum sealing them.

Yeah they should last a while, if stored properly. I wrap them real good in some tin-foil then double zip bag them and keep them in my fridge. But, I would not use them for dry-hopping, the fresher the better. (thats just me though)

I like to take extra hops and put them in a plastic cup and keep them in my car. Then I'll sit there in traffic and smell them.

I've had no problems storing hops in ziplocs in the freezer for a few months. I usually put the hops in a small ziploc and then put all the small bags into a larger ziploc. I make sure to get as much of the air out as possible and I try to use them as quickly as I can; so far I have not had to toss any.

In a tight bag in the freezer, 2 years. I'm fairly certain the comment below is for leaf, pellets would do even better.

"STORAGE STABILITY: very good, retained about 78% of its original alpha acids after 6 months room temperature storage"

Back