air lock blowout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I got my brew in my primary bucket on Friday night. I used a yeast starter and it was bubbling away by the next morning. I just got home and some of my precious liquid looks to have forced its way out of the airlock. Is all hope lost, will my beer turn out?

it should be fine. i have had it before and have never had any problem with the beer. i think some yeasts go a bit crazy some times... :drunk:

but as long as there is water in your airlock there is really now way it can get back it...

This one surely did. Its been bubbling like crazy since Saturday. Yesterday it was a constant stream of bubbles. It's making me some beer! :D

just make sure that you change/clean your airlock before transfer so you wont get any of that bad stuff come back tnto the beer... good luck..

Man ! I had a batch blow the stopper and airlock clean out ! It was a sticky situation ! Everything turned out fine. I drank the whole batch and never complained once. Beer is such forgiving stuff. ;)

but sometimes it can be unforgiving. depending on its mood.... the stuff is very moody!!!!

I just bought a brand new blow-off tube for my 6.5 gal carboy. I used it on this batch, and after 4 days of pretty tame but steady action in the fermentor - I removed the blow-off tube thinking all was safe.

Two day later...chug...chug...burp...splatter...cough...chug...chug..

You know the mess. The stuff we be a drinkin' has a real attitude if you ask me.

rohan said:
just make sure that you change/clean your airlock before transfer so you wont get any of that bad stuff come back tnto the beer... good luck..
I don't understand. I'm just going to pull the lid off and transfer. Will that cause a problem? It seems like I'd have more chance to screw it up by taking the airlock off.

billybrew said:
It seems like I'd have more chance to screw it up by taking the airlock off.

If you have THAT much active, violent fermentation, you can safely take the airlock off long enough to clean it. There will be a HUGE cloud of carbon dioxide sitting on top of your beer protecting it from the air. I wouldn't transfer to the secondary until that bubbling had slowed down to a couple of bubbles every 4 or 5 minutes.

-walker

OK, I cleaned it up. It was pretty cool. Since it had bubble over I had like a miniature version of my beer brewing in the airlock. when I took the cap off I got a good whiff of it. It's smelling good.

It should be fine. I agree with what Walker said. I would let it be for awhile and let fermentation slow a bit before transferring. But relax, I think things are going to be o.k.!!

I've had the air lock get clogged and the lid blow. Another time the lock blew out of the lid and I had a column of foam ten inches high on the top (and down the sides and over the floor). Last week, the cider was spraying out of the little holes in the top of the lock.

Bottom line: they all turned out fine. As long as the foam is coming out, nothing is getting in.

Back