DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after finally making the plunge to kegging, I'm off to a bad start.

On topic: I bought all the parts necessary for this a while back as I was acquiring all my keg parts and haven't tried assembling until now. I guess I should have searched further because I use pin lock kegs and purchased (obviously) Firestone pin lock liquid out post. Now I realize it doesn't fit. Any way of salvaging this?

Off topic: just decided to clean my keg I bought from Kegconnection and I fill it up with Oxiclean and decide to try turning it upside down. Guess what? It leaks.

STEVESKI said:
Off topic: just decided to clean my keg I bought from Kegconnection and I fill it up with Oxiclean and decide to try turning it upside down. Guess what? It leaks.

Try pressurizing the keg slightly. This should seat the lid and O ring, also make sure O ring is lubed.

As for the pin lock post I didn't use an adapter I just made my own threads by threading the post onto the plastic after removing the parts from the sprayer and trimming the plastic a little. Use a wrench once you start it and you will have a nice tight seal

I had heard of mention of people using pump sprayers but hadn't seen a DIY thread, so I decided to try to make one and share my experience

Ya know why I think I would like this guy?

He is bright enough to know how to put a parts list and the process on his post so others who do not possess his KA-nowledge can build the same thing for themselves...

Hell I don't know a thing about plumbing and adaptors... and would have made tow or three trips to the Home Depot to build this, Now I think I will be able to do so in one trip...

Well, who knew I would need a Firestone post????

As for the pin lock post I didn't use an adapter I just made my own threads by threading the post onto the plastic after removing the parts from the sprayer and trimming the plastic a little. Use a wrench once you start it and you will have a nice tight seal

Which piece did you attach it to? One of the green pieces? Or did you remove that and attach it directly to the black piece? And how did you thread it yourself? Just used force?

This thing is legendary. Read about it before I even started kegging. Whipped one up and it's just so simple and so effective. No messing with CO2. Can't imagine cleaning lines any other way. Also handy for cleaning/sanitizing a BierMuncher Bottle Filler.

Nice work geniz. Thanks for posting.

No, read my post of 2-2-13. I used a Cornelius post and it works fine.

I used a similar approach for my pin-lock post. I found that sanding the threads down on the sprayer made it easier to screw on the post and create the new threads needed for it. I got it screwed on and it doesn't leak. Thanks for the tips pointing me in the right direction.

I just made one of these with a corny keg liquid post. Turns out, it's pretty easy. There are 2 green pieces on the nozzle. Take off the first one and pull out the clear plastic piece. Then you can screw the post directly on to what's left. You will be making your own threads with the post and will need a wrench to force it on. The fit is good. To hold the poppit in position, you'll need to use a hack saw to cut off a piece of the green protruding part that the first green part (that you took off) screws into. I took off about a quarter inch. It depends on how far you screw the post down, so maybe saw off a little bit at a time to get it right. Works great, you don't need a coupling or washers. Just $7 for the Flow-Master 56HD and the cost of the post.

slhhr6.jpg

Just used LanceBoyle's idea and it worked like a champ. I took some mid-process photos to perhaps better illustrate the steps he describes above. I'm really glad I didn't throw away the 'extra' green piece when I first brought it home because that is essential for this method. Good luck everyone!
p5250004-59958.jpg

p5250005-59959.jpg

p5250006-59960.jpg

Note: I had two extra bev out posts in my bucket of random beer parts. One was too big to thread onto the green part. The other fit perfectly. It is so annoying that this is not based on some type of industry standard but just beware. It has to be a tight fit or this will not work. Wish I could tell you which type of post was the one that worked but they were just loose in my bucket. Note the difference in model between the first picture and the last one.

I picked up a Firestone ball lock liquid post assembly from Brewmaster's Warehouse (my LHBS)

The threaded end of the liquid post is 3/8 flare. The threaded end of the pump is 3/8 MIP. I picked up an adapter from Dome Hepot.

Hi,
I know this is old but maybe you'll see it. I tried putting a Firestone liquid post on the 3/8 flare but it just doesn't fit. Subsequent research shows a 3/8 MFL to be 9/16-18 and a Firestone liquid post to be 5/8-18 or 3/4-18 (John Wood 85 older models). But a Firestone gas post is 9/16-18. Did you use a gas post or is my research incorrect?

Thanks
Jack

jackorain said:
Hi,
I know this is old but maybe you'll see it. I tried putting a Firestone liquid post on the 3/8 flare but it just doesn't fit. Subsequent research shows a 3/8 MFL to be 9/16-18 and a Firestone liquid post to be 5/8-18 or 3/4-18 (John Wood 85 older models). But a Firestone gas post is 9/16-18. Did you use a gas post or is my research incorrect?

Thanks
Jack

I used a liquid Firestone post from BMW. Picked it out of the bin myself. It fit my sprayer. No fiddling, no jamming. Others recently have had problems fitting firestones onto that model sprayer, others haven't. This makes me wonder if the sprayer hasn't changed over the last couple of years??

Pretty sure he's referring to the fit between post and brass adapter. I had no problems threading a "Firestone" liquid post onto the A-176.

Also, fwiw, I had to replace the sprayer this winter as mine fell from a high shelf and the white plastic down-tube snapped off at the threads at the cap end. The new pump was identical to the old one...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Pretty sure he's referring to the fit between post and brass adapter. I had no problems threading a "Firestone" liquid post onto the A-176.

Also, fwiw, I had to replace the sprayer this winter as mine fell from a high shelf and the white plastic down-tube snapped off at the threads at the cap end. The new pump was identical to the old one...

Cheers!

Cool. I was thinking of picking up a new sprayer to see what the problem was. It's good to know the sprayer hasn't changed.

Ok

Re-read Jackorain's post. He's talking about the fit between the adaptor and the Firestone. My Firestone fit the adaptor without a problem.
Perhaps take the adaptor to your LHBS and try liquid posts on it. The Firestone I got from BMW threaded onto the adaptor without a problem

Sorry abt the confusion on my last post

What's the consensus best way to hook up a pin lock post? After almost melting my fingers off with BLC while threading/unthreading flared fittings on to my pump, I learned that I really need a way to hook the posts up.

I made one of these line cleaners this past weekend using a used firestone post I bought from Adventures in Homebrewing. Cleaned my lines last night, works great!

Ok

Re-read Jackorain's post. He's talking about the fit between the adaptor and the Firestone. My Firestone fit the adaptor without a problem.
Perhaps take the adaptor to your LHBS and try liquid posts on it. The Firestone I got from BMW threaded onto the adaptor without a problem

Sorry abt the confusion on my last post

You are correct, that is what I am talking about. I am going to take my post to Home Depot and see what I can figure out. Just haven't got to it yet.

Ok please help. Just put mine together. Ordered firestone out and my liquid plug won't attach to the fitting post.

OK but be prepared when you do get it it will not thread on nicely. Go back a few pages in this post and you'll see I identified the threads.

My coupler went on great. Kudos to keg connection they replied last night and a new post is headed my way.

This was simplest thing I've ever built and it works flawlessly. It threaded right onto the black post and the poppet works.

This is way worth the $7 for the sprayer (I already had an extra post). It is worth way more to me than the few dollars I paid and the two minutes it took to build it. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

image-761417390.jpg

Is there a difference between a Firestone and Corny post? I have corny kegs, but for my cleaner I got a Firestone. My disconnects work great for beer but wont seem attach to the firestone cleaner I made. Any help? Unless it is an in and not an out? Or are the in/out the same?

Snagg30341 said:
Is there a difference between a Firestone and Corny post? I have corny kegs, but for my cleaner I got a Firestone. My disconnects work great for beer but wont seem attach to the firestone cleaner I made. Any help? Unless it is an in and not an out? Or are the in/out the same?

No they're a bit different (gas vs. liquid). Sounds like you got a gas post instead of a liquid post.

First the sad news, I kicked my first ever keg. The good new is that I was able to clean my cobra tap with this great idea.

I guess the sprayer we get in Canada is a bit different. I was able to attach a corny outpost with no special fitting.

image-3698391676.jpg

Thanks OP for sharing such a simple yet brilliant idea!

hello, I am also in Canada, Ontario more specifically, can I ask where did you buy your sprayer and also where did you get the post?

thanks,

First the sad news, I kicked my first ever keg. The good new is that I was able to clean my cobra tap with this great idea.

I guess the sprayer we get in Canada is a bit different. I was able to attach a corny outpost with no special fitting.

View attachment 138619

hello, I am also in Canada, Ontario more specifically, can I ask where did you buy your sprayer and also where did you get the post?

thanks,

The sprayer is from Home Depot. The location where I live in Newmarket did not have this particular size, but a friend of mine found them in the Pickering Homedepot.
If you click the "Pick Up in Store" button it will show you locations around you that have stock:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sprayer-mister-25-pints-translucent-white-polyethylene-tank/310114

The post is from Ontario Beer Kegs.
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_p/post.htm
The default drop menu on this page is for a GAS post, be sure to change to 19/32 Liquid Out Post.:mug:

View attachment 138619

I bought this model of sprayer from Sears (website free ship to store) works jim dandy with an AEB post.

I just put one of these together using the same Flo-Master sprayer from Home Depot and a Firestone post. I removed the rubber gasket that was inside the green tip and placed it inside the brass FIP and it works!

Just ran across this thread - picked up all the pieces on my lunchtime yesterday and put it together as geniz suggested (added that little washer that comes with the green piece flipped around so the pump sprayer plunger would seal). Cleaned out my beer lines last night. Stellar DIY!! Works great. Thanks! :mug:

I cleaned my three taps last night. I only used starsan this time. I simply attached the beer line to the Firestone post on my sprayer, gave it about 12 pumps and opened the tap. Then, I pressed the green lever and waited until the flow from the tap was clear. Next, I loosened the lid on the sprayer to release the pressure. I left the lid loose and pressed the green lever again while leaving the tap open. All the remaining Starsan in the quickly flowed back into the sprayer. I did that on all three taps. Next time, I'll do it with real line cleaner.

The sprayer is from Home Depot. The location where I live in Newmarket did not have this particular size, but a friend of mine found them in the Pickering Homedepot.
If you click the "Pick Up in Store" button it will show you locations around you that have stock:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sprayer-mister-25-pints-translucent-white-polyethylene-tank/310114

The post is from Ontario Beer Kegs.
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_p/post.htm
The default drop menu on this page is for a GAS post, be sure to change to 19/32 Liquid Out Post.:mug:

For those out Western Canada, the above noted Flo Master is sold here too (at least in the Vancouver stores), while the Firestone posts are available from Hop Dawgs in Vernon, BC.

Works like a champ!

Just used LanceBoyle's idea and it worked like a champ. I took some mid-process photos to perhaps better illustrate the steps he describes above. I'm really glad I didn't throw away the 'extra' green piece when I first brought it home because that is essential for this method. Good luck everyone!
p5250004-59958.jpg

p5250005-59959.jpg

p5250006-59960.jpg

Note: I had two extra bev out posts in my bucket of random beer parts. One was too big to thread onto the green part. The other fit perfectly. It is so annoying that this is not based on some type of industry standard but just beware. It has to be a tight fit or this will not work. Wish I could tell you which type of post was the one that worked but they were just loose in my bucket. Note the difference in model between the first picture and the last one.

Put one of these together with this method the other night. Once I got some teflon tape on there, it worked great.

Doing this!!!! I usually use a half filled corni keg with cleaner soloution and my co2 rig to push it through. Would save CO2 and time for sure. Thanks!

Back