Dry Hop A Blue Moon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrevino

Reaction score
I've got a blue moon clone fermenting right now and after pulling a sample last night I am not happy with the absent orange flavor that is characteristic of blue moon. I was just thnking of dry hoping with more sweat And bitter orange and perhaps some more coriander. Any thoughts, suggestions?

This is also my first dry hop so is it necessary to sterilize the additions? And if so, how?

I have not done this post boil, but I can tell you that .75oz of sweet orange peel and .75 oz coriander with a little bitter orange (.25-.4oz) in the last 5 minutes of the boil will get you the orange flavor that you are looking for. You might boil some sweet orange and coriander for 5 minutes, let it cool and pour the liquid in. Might even put the solids in a bag and toss it in too. If you had these amounts in the boil, then I would hold up. My blue moon does not taste correct until I cross 8 weeks from the boil. I keg it and have had it in the fridge at 5 weeks and it is just not there until I get close to 8 weeks. At that point the orange really comes out.

Back