Did I screw up my keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
So tonight I finally got around to drilling a hole in a recently acquired keg to install a weldless bulkhead fitting. I bought a pre-made dip tube from the LHBS as well. Stupid me drilled the hole about an inch or so higher than what it really should have been. So my dip-tube isn't anywhere near the bottom of the keggle. In fact it is sitting pretty much flush with the false bottom. I can certainly make a longer dip-tube, all that will require is a quick trip to the HD for a piece of copper pipe. My main concern is that I might have trouble draining this thing if I have an ~3-4 inch dip tube? Any thoughts/suggestion?

Your keg is ruined ill recycle it for you, but if you decide to keep it....

You should not have a problem with a long dip tube (think of it like a siphon). What you could do is install a thermometer in that hole and make a new hole for the dip tube

I would say if you are pumping out of the keggle you should be alright, and if you are gravity feeding aslong as the outlet after the valve is lower than the bottom of the keg you should be good as it will siphon the last 3-4 inchs below the placement of the fittings

Do that and next time you brew you wont even get to smell the hops before you die. See the link below. Any sealed air pocket in a keg will burst when the air inside of it gets heated.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=44238

Would drilling holes in the bottome suffice? I'm a medical person....I don't know jack about the physics behind the keggle possibly bursting.. heh

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I went the easy route and just cut a longer diptube to get to the bottom of the kettle.... I'm in the middle of a test boil now to determine my boil-off rate, and then i'm going to let it cool over night before I drain it tomorrow to test how well the new dip-tube works... we shall see, hopefully it drains well... I cut the tube so that it's only about 2-3 mm above the bottom of the keggle, so hopefully there isn't hardly any dead-space.... Should I leave a little more of a gap to prevent hot-break and pellet hop slug from clogging it? I'll be boiling with a false bottom but I'm not sure how much of the sludge that will capture....

Try using a SS Scrubie. I use one and it works fairly well. I put it under the pickup tube.

Back