My Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoodude

Reaction score
Following the instructions of many of you good folks here on the board, I finally got the nerve to convert my unused chest freezer to a kegerator.

It's still a work in progress, but here's what Iessentially I built a collar out of 2x4s. Then added glued 1x6 boards to the front and sides to pretty it up a bit. The 1x6 was routed and I used a miter saw to cut 45 degree angles on the edges so they would have a cleaner look when I glued them together and to the 2x4s.

Here are the pics of the progress so far:

Building the collar.

3445385794_d8d725308b_o.jpg

Making sure it fits properly. Had to sand it quite a bit to get it to fit correctly with the 1x6s added to the collar.

3444568505_4500b91b24_o.jpg

What it will look like when done (without paint).

3444568581_46cbf5b374_o.jpg

I plan to finish painting it and sealing it by the weekend.

Not exactly sure. Just picked up several spade-type drill bits and compared them to the size of the shank. But it fit pretty nicely....

I'll report back tonight with the size as well as post update pics.

looking good. My only recomendation. Don't put a keg'o'beer in their until it's completely finished. I' thinking about changing mine to the collar mounted tap design and doing away with my Keezer type tap box.

Joe C - I drilled a 1-inch hole using a spade bit. Fits a little loose, but not too loose.

Since the photos, I have painted the collar with chalk board paint, sealed the collar to the freezer, screwed the lid back on, installed the shanks and faucets. I'll add pics tonight.

Well, I'm almost done and I'm pretty dang proud of it. All I have left to do is drill a hole to fit the temperature probe, seal the hole and add faucet handles that I forgot to buy the last time I was at my LHBS. I plan on picking those up this weekend.

Now all I have to do is wait for my next batches of beer to finish fermenting!

Here are the pics of the (nearly) completed keezer:

3449270534_8bf6a98a9d.jpg

Inside view.
3448455739_1e95d39339.jpg

Another inside view.
3449270056_e082991450.jpg

View of temperature controller.
3449270274_f30b8428ef.jpg

Looks good! I have a few questions:

Is there any serious loss of temp due to the wood collar? Or is it negligible?
The freezer lid rests snuggly to create a tight seal? The weight of the freezer lid doesn't pull against the collar too much? I ask because it's just glue holding the brace together right? Some freezer lids are heavy and it just seems like it would separate the wood eventually. What locks the collar in place on the freezer body? Just the shear weight of the collar?

The equipment your using looks new, just purchased I'm guessing or really clean? LoL.
I have buddy that has a freezer setup w/o a collar, using a tower rig.... I recall seeing 4 regulators on a strand linked together but your is using a different set-up ....what is it? Sorry if these q's are elementary I just don't want to screw-up when I build mine and I guess the more you know the better right?

Thanks!

I used adhesive caulk to adhere the collar to the freezer and then caulked the areas of the collar that I thought that air could easily escape from. I then put heavy items around the collar to make sure it would adhere tightly to the freezer.

The main part of the collar is a square built out of 2x4s. I actually screwed it together using a pocket jig to drill the holes to screw it in. The jig that I used was a cheaper version of the Kreg jig that you may have seen on late night TV. I then glued 1x6 boards to the 2x4 collar to dress it up a bit. The lid does not sit on the 1x6 part of the collar just the 2x4s.

Just like the freezer before I added the collar, the lid just shuts onto the collar. As for loss of temperature through the collar, I have no idea. But I don't think it will be a major issue.

Man, that's sweet. I'm thinking that we have the same model freezer. I believe that we got ours at Sam's Club a few years ago but I'm not certain. After Hurricane Ike we lost all of the food in it and ever since we have not used it like we did before. After I started brewing, my wife (who also loves beer BTW) let me convert the freezer! :rockin:

Smoodude - I think you are right they look the same. I bought mine at a scratch and dent place where my top lid had some good dents in the top, this is how I fixed them.

DSCN0271.jpg
[/IMG]

Back