Halfway through my first full mash/full boil! (In my apartment!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euripidez

Reaction score
I'm having a good day. I used the 'easy partial mash' guide, changed my recipes for a 2-gallon IPA recipe (chinook + cascade + cascade whole hop dry hop), and mashed on my stovetop for 60 minutes at 153. I sparged in another pot at 175f for 10 minutes, and this is a picture from the boil.

Ill update with some pictures of OG and my carboy before I shut her in the closet for a few weeks. I liked this process a lot better so far - more time and labor intensive but it feels so great to make beer from just grain, yeast, hops, and water.

AbEfiCj.jpg

At the risk of slightly spoiling your happiness, I have to point out that when you say OG was supposed to be 1.05 / 1.06....
There is a range of .010 between those two values.
In other words, if OG was supposed to be 1.060 and you got 1.050 then there is a slight range there that you missed.
Not a huge deal, just something to point out.

How big is the batch? I'd like to try something similar soon.

Pre-boil volume was exactly 3 gallons. Boiled down to 2.3-2.4 gallons, and my carboy holds 2 full gallons. Having my PBV at 3 gallons is probably why my OG was 1.05 and not 1.06. Too much sparge water.

Back