Will my beer taste green?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axp

Reaction score
Hi All.

Bottled my first all grain batch about 2 weeks ago. I used DeathBrewer's stove top all grain method to brew 3 gallons of Belgian dubbel. It worked a treat! (Thanks for the pictorial DeathBrewer)

At bottling I sneaked a swig after measuring the final gravity and it tasted amazing! No sign of greeness at all, could taste raisin and figs. I should say that I bulk aged in secondary for six weeks before bottling.

Now after 2 weeks in the bottles I know it has carbonated, as I bottled 5 litres of it in 1 litre PET bottles due to a shortage of glass bottles. They are rock hard so carbonation has definitely taken place.

My question is do you think they will now taste green, as there has been another mini fermentation happening in the bottle. Or will they taste just as they did when I bottled them?

I wont be cracking one open for about a month, so as I know they have matured, I'm just interested in your thoughts on it. I have learned that patience is a virtue in homebrewing!

Should just say thanks to all who have replied to my questions on this forum, the replies have been really helpful and have made the experience of brewing a lot less stressful! And I think have helped make a great tasting dubbel.

Cheers, Andrew.

I would think the flavours would start to come through now and any slight yeast taste that was there when you bottled it would be gone.

Just make sure you keep em cold now to allow most to settle out.

After a onth you'll be fine.2 weeks is kind of early for a big beer though.The bottles may be hard,but the CO2 may not be dissolved into the beer yet.It sucks when you have a big frothy head on a flat beer:mug:

To get the CO2 to dissolve into the liquid properly is it better to store the bottles at a warm temperture (~20C) or at a cooler temperature such as in my garage or in the fridge?

Theres kind of a split answer to that.If the yeast still have some sugar to eat in there then the warmer temps will create more carbonation,BUT the colder temps will help the CO2 disolve into the beer faster.I hope that helps:D

No, they should not taste green because you took care of the aging in the secondary. One of the nice things about bulk aging is that once the beer is carbonated, it's good to drink.

No, they should not taste green because you took care of the aging in the secondary. One of the nice things about bulk aging is that once the beer is carbonated, it's good to drink.

It's good to know that it wasn't a wasted six weeks then! Think I will age my next batch in the same way, as it seems to have had a positive effect on the taste. Hurray for my 3 gallon better bottle!

Theres kind of a split answer to that.If the yeast still have some sugar to eat in there then the warmer temps will create more carbonation,BUT the colder temps will help the CO2 disolve into the beer faster.I hope that helps

I think the carbonation has finished, as there is a thick yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottles. Will probably transfer to the garage, as its cooler in there and should help the CO2 dissolve into the liquid like you say.

Because of the way that physics works, your best temperature to dissolve CO2 in water is just above 32*F, but under 39*F.... That's the book answer, as water is densest at 39*F, and the CO2 is denser then, too. Above 39*F, the water will be able to dissolve more, but the gas loses density faster than the liquid does.

Ahem.

The real world answer is that you should get your beer as cool as reasonably possible for at least a day. I've had gushers warm that were flat quick chilled and nice when refrigerated for a week.

After the beers aged I usually stick a couple of bottles in the fridge. Haven't enough room for the whole lot to go in there. Sounds like I should keep them as cool as possible though if I want decent carbonation.

Cheers guys.

Hi all. After 3 weeks of carbonating I decided to try a bottle for scientific purposes!
I can report that there was more of a warm alcohol flavour than before I bottled. This was a little disappointing but I assume from previous experience that this will go away given a month or two longer in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back