is it OK to add water while fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

555wrx

Reaction score
Another (stupid) question here. Is it ok to add about a gallon of water to my carboy a day after the brew day? I JUST remembered that I forgot to top off my carboy up to 5 gallons after my boil and the wort has been in the carboy with air lock since about 7:pm on sunday. I would do it now, but it's not at my house. So my question is:
Is it ok to top it off on monday at about 3:pm? or is it too late and did I just make this ale too strong?
That didn't take long for me to mess something up (second batch) :(
Thanks!
Jeremy

And my OG was at 1.050. Don't know what it's supposed to be, as the extract kit literature did not say. Thank you.

1.050 isn't especially high for an OG by any stretch. You're probably looking at an ABV of ~5.25%...hardly any cause for alarm (for comparison, remember that Bud is 5.0%).

You can add water if you wish but you have to be sure that it is sterile. Either add bottled water that you purchase or boil your tap water for at least 15 minutes. Make sure the water you add is the same temp as what's in the carboy. Add it with no splashing (or as close to no splashing as you can).

Good luck! :mug:

Think I'm going to pass on adding water, as per the OG level seems to be where it's supposed to be. Turns out I was only about a liter short anyway. Thanks for your help guys! Happy brewing.

Unibrow said:
Why not? I thought RO/Distilled water is okay for everything except mashing because of its lack of minerals.

I wouldn't add any during fermentation, but if I did, distilled and reverse osmosis water would be the only option I would use. Not sure where the previous poster was coming from on that one

Back