13 gal carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Red

Reaction score
I recently acquired a large carboy. It holds about 13 gallons.

Does anyone know what these were used for?

I'm wondering if it would be ok to use as a fermenter. I've let it soak for about a year (changing periodically) full of purple stuff. Even though it looks clean.

Well, unless you're built like a brick sh!thouse popeye you're not going to be able to lift that thing full of wort. However, if you can put it on an unused counter or table and ferm like that you could do it. That's freakin' huge though! :rockin: I dont know man, that's just HUGE! Be careful. There are lots of threads on here of people REALLY hurting themselves by dropping 5 and 6 gal carboys. :eek:

Probably a demijon, they run around 14 gal, are sold for making wine, and are kind of teardrop-shaped. Try going after it with some chemicals -- first hot oxyclean solution, then maybe bleach if the color is not gone. The are good for fermenting big batches, but you will need to be the one to decide if it's clean enough!

I have a 14 gallon green glass demijon that I'll do 10-12 gallon batches of beer in. It came with a sturdy wicker basket with an oak bottom and handles, but it is still difficult to transport very far and I wouldn't give much consideration to lifting it anywhere. On the plus side, it is wife friendly and can live in the house.

im no **** house but the way my current setup is i have to lift and move my keggle with 12 gallons in it. i sparge my wort into keggle gravity style. keggle one the ground, cooler mash tun on a table. my patio is cracked un not level so my burner has to go in a certain spot or else i have a burner right next to a table, no good, so i have to move the full keggle 6 feet to my burner. it is time to build a brew stand.

I had a 15 gallon carboy once. It was great until it broke and nearly cut off a friends finger. Blood, beer and glass all over the place.

Trust me I do not plan on moving it full.

I may just keep it as a conversation piece.

It's definitely a carboy and not a demijohn.

I picked up a 13 gal for $30 on ebay and I use it all the time. I just use a huge drilled stopper with an airlock. I want more but have not seen any more. Where did you pick yours up?

One of my relatives had it. I ask them what it was used for and they said it was an acid container. I think some good cleaning and it will be fine. I haven't done any 10 gal batches yet but probably will.

Back