Hop T: My new keggle strainer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I sweat welded up a hop strainer because the ball valve in my keggle was essentially useless even with whirlpooling. I used a male adaptor to a 5 3/8" length of copper pipe to a 90 Degree elbow down to a tee with two more 3" capped lengths in it. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom side of the T and the lengths and popped a couple more in each end cap. the adaptor and straight length are one piece and the T portion slides onto it. It's a tight enough fit that it should hold the suction and if it isn't I'm pretty sure it will clog with hop particles and leaves by the time the wort level descends past it. I have no idea how this is going to work and whether or not it will just get quickly clogged but I'm hoping if it does that I can stir my way out of trouble and then drill some more holes before I do my next batch. I was thinking about filling the keggle up half way and dropping in a few ounces of paper cut up into the same size as hop leaves to test it... but then I got lazy.

But I shined 'er up real nice.

Hop_T.jpg

that little thing looks sweet. I would pop a few more holes just for sure. Let us know how it goes.

I use a little screen thing, but i get clogged up most the time cause i'm using almost a pound of hops..:cross:

I'm debating on whether or not to exercise patience and brew a batch and drill more holes afterwards if needed or to just go ahead and do it now. My gut feeling is that it will get clogged right now because the holes are super small. I'm thinking about peppering it with a around forty more like I did to the very underside of the T arms. I don't want to increase the hole size though as I would like to filter out as much particulate as possible.

I too brew with massive hop bills at times and am well aware of the sheer volume of wet matter that is going to sit on top of this thing. On that note, I think I will drill a bunch more holes in it. Why the hell not? I certainly can't hurt to increase the filtering area of this thing.

Small holes will get clogged up. I found that leaving the end open was better and watching the tube so when it gets down to the sediment, then just closing of the spigot. If you are greedy, you will get sediment.

Add a bunch more holes to help with the flow rate and then start using something like this
87362036-MVC-680F.JPG

to add the hops into and you wont have any problems.

I have a similar setup now FSR402 and that's why I'm devising this new system which attaches to my spigot. I would much rather have the hops freely float around in the wort than have them held back in a bag which I have to keep replacing and which doesn't hold back any of the cold break either. I'm thinking of taking serious lee's advice and slicing cuts into the T portion. I think this is probably a better solution than drilling a million holes in it.

Back