AG Active Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacMac

Reaction score
I just brewed my first AG on Sunday and things seemed to go pretty well.
Just a general question, do AG batches have a more active fermentation then extract?
I know that a lot of factors play into this, but I was just wondering if in general if this was true. Thanks!

do AG batches have a more active fermentation then extract?

I think it has more to do with yeast type, temperatures and gravity. My AG Centennial Blonde had a average to mellow fermentation. The stout I did before this one was an extract brew that blew the top off.

Not sure...but my first two AG batches were definitely "different". My first AG was a Pale Ale and everything besides grains remained the same as my extract batch. However, the AG batch had very slow and steady fermentation which lasted well over 10 days, versus my extract batch which only took 7 days to ferment. My second AG was a wheat...again almost exactly the same as my extract batch, but just a bit more wheat compared to the 60/40 wheat/barley extract I had used previously. This AG batch had some violent fermentation and had a pretty big blowoff, while my extract batch was just very steady...the same as all of my other extract batches.

So I don't really have a good answer to your question I guess...only that I have noticed the difference in fermentation between extract and AG. Not that this is a bad thing...just drank a sixer of my first AG pale ale and it was FANTASTIC. And I took a sample of my wheat beer last night...it too was amazing...so I think fermentation was very healthy.

I am guessing there is a distinct difference. Just finished an AG on Mother's Day and it has been active and steady for 8 days now. Yes I took time to see mom for a few minutes!!!

Back