Champagne Disgorgement - Whoo Boy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
Well, that was fun!

Took my first stab at disgorgement of my pear champagne...I learned a lesson the first bottle. DONT do it inside. Even while doing in the shower/tub, I still blasted yeast all over the ceiling texture, walls, etc.

Does anyone have any good tips or stories?

I had them upside down in the deep freeze for a 120 mins, neck was forming ice, and I popped the caps, covered as quick as possible, and filled back up with sweetened still wine of the same.

How do you minimize bubble over when adding your dosage? I lost quite a bit that way...

Have never tried it, sounds like "too much work," not to mention I bottle in 12 oz'ers with crown capsand pour the same as a bottle conditioned beer. Could a champagne bottle be carefully decanted into a large enough decanter without bringing along yeast layer, same as a beer just on a larger scale? I have no idea...

Have never tried it, sounds like "too much work," not to mention I bottle in 12 oz'ers with crown capsand pour the same as a bottle conditioned beer. Could a champagne bottle be carefully decanted into a large enough decanter without bringing along yeast layer, same as a beer just on a larger scale? I have no idea...

No, not really. But yes, if you only do 12 oz, you are good. 2 glasses, and it's empty without risk of stirring up the yeast. Otherwise, you'd have to finish 5 glasses of champagne at once to avoid yeast cloudiness. 5 glasses of champange, and I'd be on the floor.

Latest posts

Back