How does this IPA 3-gallon recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempestam83

Reaction score
Put together my first custom recipe for a 3-gallon all grain batch.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Batch Size: 3 gal
Boil Size: 4.0 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

7 lb 2-row
1 lb wheat malt

½ tsp gypsum
½ whirlflock at 15 min.

3 gallon strike water 162
mash at 152 for one hour
10 min. mashout at 170
1 gallon sparge at 170

HOPS:
.3 oz apollo at 60 min.
.6 oz Amarillo at 5 min.
.6 oz Simcoe at 5 min.
.3 oz. Appollo at 5 min.
.6 oz. Columbus at 0 (steep for 15)
1.2 Simcoe at 0 (steep for 15)
.6 oz at Columbus at 0 (steep for 15)
.6 oz Centenial at 0 (steep for 15)

WLP 01 California ale yeast

DRY HOPS

.6 oz Amarillo (three days)
.6 oz Centenial (three days)
.6 oz Simcoe (three days)

Good to me, simple grain bill, late hop additions, 01...

Whats your OG, SRM, ABV and IBU goals?

Id do the steep twice as long to get more out of the flameout hops

Cool. I'll try that. So steep for 30 min. then cool? Should I leave all the hop sludge in when I transfer it?

yeah 30min would be good. YOu can try to leave the trub behind in the kettle or just transfer it all. Everything will settle in the fermentor anyway

I ran it through on brewer's friend and got this;

Pre Boil OG: 1.049
Estimated OG: 1.065
Estimated FG: 1.015
Estimated ABV: 6.55%

That's with 65% efficiency which I kind of guessed.

I would mash a bit lower to really create a really fermentable wort, like 149, but i like my IPAs dry. not really sure what the point of a mashout would be? I've never done one. also you generally want to heat your sparge water to around 185 or so to get the 168-170 temp range.
theres a great little piece by Denny Conn about mashing and sparging right here: http://www.dennybrew.com
Everything else looks spot on and as others have said the late additions are key and maybe think about at least going 30 minutes on that steep.

I think your FG will be lower than that. You've got all base malts for high fermentability and a yeast which is capable of decent attenuation. Both good things because you want IPAs to be dry

So I brewed this on Saturday BIAB style. Everything went well. Yeast looks like it's having a ball in there today!

IMG_2163.jpg

So I've a question: Do you really have 3 gal into fermenter, with a 60 min boil and 4 gal pre-boil volume?

I boil off nearly a gallon per hour, and with sludge and loss to hops, and I aim for 3.5 gal into fermenter (yes, I do 3 gal batches too), I target a pre-boil volume of nearly 6 gallons.

I Had a little under 3 gallons when I transferred to the fermenter and topped off with about 1/2 gallon of cold tap water (I usually top off with cold poland spring but forgot to pick some up).

Had a pre-boil gravity of 1.053 and a OG of 1.068.

I like doing three gallon batches as well and have done one partial mash so far. I am still waiting to bottle and taste it. What all grain method are you using. I am considering BIAB since I don't really see the point in getting a huge all grain set up for just three gallons. Any input?

I do BIAB. Very basic set up. Usually do a three gallon mash for 60 min. with around two gallons sparge. Usually use around 8-9 pounds grain. Been getting around 60 percent efficiency. Still trying to figure out how to boost that.

What do you mash in? Pot or cooler? My stove can only really handle a two gallon boil and I have a three gallon pot. I'm thinking about using two gallons for the mash and adding enough water to bring back to two gallons for the 60 minute boil. I would then add another gallon while cooling the wort to hit my 3 gallon mark. Would this work? I know it would make a lower efficiency.

I'm still pretty new to this too. Have 6 BIAB brews under my belt so far. I mash in a 5-gallon kettle. I think 2 gallons could be a little low. I would spring for a 5-gallon kettle. Should only be around $30-$40. I mash with three gallons and sparge with 2 gallons and wind up with about 4.5 gallons in the kettle.

How many gallons is your boil? The whole five gallons? I would increase the amount of water but I wouldn't be able to bring more than two and a half tops to a boil on my crumy apartment stove. I figured two gallons would be fine to mash with if I used calculators to ensure my ingredients match the target gravity readings and ibu's. I might have to use more grain than is typically needed to account for low efficiency, but I could also add a little extract malt if needed.

Sparging however is still a bit foreign to me. My first partial mash has one more week in the fermenter, but I basically just experimented and measured the amount of water absorbed by the grains and sparged with that amount of water to bring my wort back to 2 gallons before boiling.

I boil around 4.5 gallons. I'm lucky in that I got a kick ass gas stove with front "power burner."

Hey, as long as the beer tastes good, I don't really think it matters what your process is. Whatever works for you is best.

Back