One line "Ooops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the_bird said:
OK, that's like witbeer territory; what's that, like 2 SRM?

That's what I'm saying but she was using the SWM(BO) scale and the back pain is making her beotchy.

DeathBrewer said:
i've forgotten irish moss in my last 3 batches and i don't really use secondaries.

some of my friends might complain it isn't very clear, but i don't mind so screw them :p

If they want clear beer tell them to go buy some Miller Chill!:rockin:

Learned the hard way that my vacuum cleaner has an attachment perfect for getting floating thermometer buckshot weights out of the garbage disposal...

The second time.
(Bi-metal from now on)

Added my immersion chiller to the last 10 min of the wort boil and ended up letting the vinyl hose get too close to the propane burner. It melted the end I needed to hook the chiller up to my faucet, and I had to do a last minute repair. Putting the vinyl hose on the 212 degree copper was... interesting. :rockin:

DesertBrew said:
Ok, I think it was three white lies over the weekend. 1st, a backgrounder. She hurt/has a bad back (spine L3/L4) and I had to do pretty much all of the house cleaning.

Sat morning house cleaning
swmbo: Did you use windex on all of the glass/marble tables in the living room?
Desert: Yes dear (busted).

Sat night party (I was supposed to be DD but she wasn't really drinking)
swmbo: How many jello shots and beers did you have?
Desert: 2 & 3. Wrong she was watching & counting. It was 3 & 4. I just lost count :eek:.

Sun morning NFL at the bar and the rest of the day.
I didn't really do anything wrong but somehow guilt was set upon me as I left for the bar and then brought a buddy home and we polished off the IPA. Guess she wanted me to be more productive on Sun.

Good to be back to work!! :rockin:

You do the housework and then she counts your drinks? That's uh, uh.....

Hey, you missed a spot, Cinderella. :D

Turned water on in the bathtub to cool my warm primary. Left the bathroom and got side tracked. Came back to a sideways primary floating in a bathtub that was just starting to flow water over the top. OOPSIE

Added extermely hot water to the plastic container my LME came it to get all the extract out. Re-sealed the lid to shake the water up and found out real quick how powerful steam pressure can be. First time I had to clean a ceiling.

Nyxator said:
Added my immersion chiller to the last 10 min of the wort boil and ended up letting the vinyl hose get too close to the propane burner. It melted the end I needed to hook the chiller up to my faucet, and I had to do a last minute repair. Putting the vinyl hose on the 212 degree copper was... interesting. :rockin:

x2, did that the weekend before this past one...little duct tape was the short term solution.

also hooked up the liquid out disconnect to a keg with a picnic tap...that was open....and I had just been telling myself to close it, as I opened it to make it easier to grip when pushing into the tubing.

I also now have a keg that has been sitting upside down in oxyclean since saturday (it is now monday), haven't had time to deal with it.

I was boiling a second set of priming solution for my second batch and turned on the wrong burner and didnt realize it. I went downstairs and was called back up by my wife. The package of oatmeal bars on the stove were burning very nicely. I quickly grabbed the burning bits and threw them in the sink. The heat melted one of the frames for the halogen light over the stove.

pitched a tube of White Labs yeast past it's "best-by" date, and then waited three days for airlock activity :drunk: RDWMAFS

relax, don't worry, make a friendly starter!

On my first batch, while waiting for wort to boil I went outside to smoke. I had to take the stove apart to clean the boilover. Same batch, three weeks later I put a 22oz. bottle of stout on the top shelf of the refridgerator and it got pushed to the back. It froze and broke. I had to take out all the food and clean all the shelves and drawers.

Made a starter for hefe slurry that was fresh from a conical at a local micro. Wouldn't have, but I've had his slurry take forever to start previously, so I was being safe. Came home at lunch to a nice blowoff. So I split the starter into two 1-gallon jugs, added more wort, put a rubber stopper in one and a universal stopped in the other. Put them in the utility sink in case they blew off again and made another mess. Went back to the office. Wife came home before me and, without checking the sink, did a load of laundry. Well, because of a slow-draining P-trap at the main stack (and because of the laws of physics) when our washer exhausts its dirty water, it fills up the utility sink halfway. She knows this, she just forgot to check. So I come home to two starter jugs floating sideways in nasty soapy dirty water. My eyes got big as saucers. I pulled them out, and somehow, some way, the rubber stopper had held tight. I sprayed the **** out of it with starsan, and prayed. The universal stopper, OTOH, had come out and was probably infected/contaminated. So I tossed it. Pitched the other starter into my Stunkelweizen, and it had excellent attenuation and tastes great in the fermenter. Disaster averted. Does the wife take any responsibility, though? Nah. My fault. All my fault.

had a pretty amber in the secondary just a day away from bottling it took a gravity reading but I didn't clean the thief. Looked at it the next day and it was covered in mold.

I did a stovetop extract brew and put immersion chiller in pot with hose from outside through window for water, went outside and turned on the water, came back inside to find the line slipped off and there was a lake on the kitchen floor. Oops! The kitchen never looked cleaner after a brew session. :D

On Saturday I was busily brewing away and went to re-hydrate my yeast. I forgot to test the temperature of the water until it was too late. Turns out it was 110 F. Luckily the beer took off just fine.

JnJ said:
Dropped screwdriver in wort trying to tighten lose chiller hose. Beer was good though.

Dropped a hammer in secondary while racking. The hammer was being used to tilt the primary and i accidentally bumped it. Beer was good in my case, too.

Guy at my LHBS told me that he once accidentally used his bucket of sanitizer as top-off water. He's been using Iodophor ever since........:cross:

I left a starter next to my gas stove and SWMBO decided to boil something for a long time without moving it. It was my last batch of Wyeast 3068 that I wanted to propagate. Doh, the exposure killed the yeast. Oh well, live and learn.

Bernie Brewer said:
Guy at my LHBS told me that he once accidentally used his bucket of sanitizer as top-off water. He's been using Iodophor ever since........:cross:

Now if that would have been StarSan, his beer would have turned out great!

EdWort said:
Now if that would have been StarSan, his beer would have turned out great!

It WAS Star-San, that's why he did it! He uses Iodophor now because it is a different color and can't be mistaken for plain water!;)

This past weekend I brewed a small 2.5 gallon batch of BierMuncher's Ode to Arthur Guinness clone. Everything went pretty well.

Tonight I was cleaning up and I ended up finding the pound of flaked wheat that I forgot to put into the mash. I thought the grist looked a little thin, but didn't really think anything about it. So I guess we'll see how this turns out.

Forgot to close the valve on my mash tun after preheating. Ended up with a lot of grainy water on my porch and my strike temp was way off.

Ended up being one of my best beers though. =)

-D

My worst oops occurred about 7 years ago. I had a peach wine in secondary fermentation in a corny keg. It had a lot of pulp in it.

Because it was still fermenting, the keg pressured up. At first I tried to release the pressure via the inlet and outlet tubes, but the tubes and valves plugged. Even the inlet tube. And the more I released, the more it foamed up and the more CO2 it wanted to release, like a really foamy soda pop.

After half an hour of dicking around, I got the pressure down enough that I could push the lid down a bit. I thought that would be an easy way to releave the rest of the pressure without a ton of foam. So I gave the lid a good push and as soon as I did, it only partially unseated and started blowing half fermented peach juice everywhere ! Tried as I might, I couldn't get the lid loose and I couldn't get it seated. So there I was with a keg blowing peach juice everywhere. And the more it blew, the more it seemed to release CO2.

Luckily I was in the basement laundry room with had concrete walls and floors and an unfinished ceiling. By the time it pressured down, it blew half the keg all over the room. I threw out the rest.

Morals from this story ?

1) pulpy worts/musts need special valves to get into and out of corny kegs
2) never close ferment in a corny. It needs some pressure relief
3) never try to remove a corny lid under pressure

There are probably more, I just can't think of them at the moment.

So here it is, this has got to be up there. After doing 4 or 5 12 gallon all grains I was doing a quick extract 5 gallon batch to show a friend the process. As we get the wort to about 80F he asks when we add the extract. Haha, i guess we drank a little too much during the process!?

I've got two:

Pitched my yeast at over 80F once. The end product was an atrocity. Oops.

Stored 12 bottles in a beat-up carboard case. The box broke while I was moving out of my apartment and three bottles fell out and broke on my bare foot. I didn't get cut, but I had just cleaned the floor. Oops.

Shiz-it. Just realized that I made my starter last night with half as much water as I should have - so I'm trying to get the bock yeast growing in 1090 wort instead of 1045. Damn, I thought it looked a little viscous! Oops!

Two weekends ago, I poured my 4th glass out of my keg of Apfelwein for my sister to try. 5 minutes later we notice a large puddle of something next to the keggerator. When I closed the door it hit the picnic tap that I was using for that keg , locking it open between the keg and the door and emptying 4 gallons - 4 glasses of Apfelwein into my fridge. Awesome. Convinced the wife that i needed two more faucets for the outside instead of relying on picnic taps tho :)

Didn't standardize hose sizes and barbs when building my setup. Now I have an HLT and MLT with a 1/2" barb and a keggle, pump, and CFC all on 3/8".

I'd recommend picking a size and standardizing around that size.

Tried to chill wort in an ice bath, but left the lid on the boiling pot.... :drunk:

I usually brew on my patio - but because of rain I brewed in my carport. Burned both my hands attempting to put sparge water in my mash tun. I picked up a pot of water that had been heating up on my propane burner and halfway to the mash tun I realized I forgot to use the potholders...oops

Later during the same brew session I was sanitizing my glass carboy. It had maybe one gallon of water in it. As I held it out to empty the sanitizer it slipped, fell and broke on my driveway. Some glass cut my heel and still have a scar...oops.

To finish my brew, I was walking around with a bloody paper towel around my heel and a plastic bag of ice for the blisters on my hands. The beer turnout out ok...not my best though.

I will never, ever brew in my carport again.

mummasan said:
I usually brew on my patio - but because of rain I brewed in my carport. Burned both my hands attempting to put sparge water in my mash tun. I picked up a pot of water that had been heating up on my propane burner and halfway to the mash tun I realized I forgot to use the potholders...oops

Later during the same brew session I was sanitizing my glass carboy. It had maybe one gallon of water in it. As I held it out to empty the sanitizer it slipped, fell and broke on my driveway. Some glass cut my heel and still have a scar...oops.

To finish my brew, I was walking around with a bloody paper towel around my heel and a plastic bag of ice for the blisters on my hands. The beer turnout out ok...not my best though.

I will never, ever brew in my carport again.

See, the lesson I would have picked up would have been to invest in Better Bottles...

Back