Over crushed grain!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisharvey

Reaction score
As you'll see in my pics I over crushed the grain. Super cloudy Wit beer. What will happen?!?!

image-2735996596.jpg

image-1289264650.jpg

That looks fine to me. I always have lots of trub with wheat beers. It'll settle out. If it sparged fine, I wouldn't worry.

Doesn't look that bad to me either. Let it settle out before bottling/kegging. And remember, some recipes have you add flour to the boil at knock out to increase cloudiness, its supposed to be really cloudy. I wouldn't worry either.

Agree with all the above, looks totally fine to me and similar to my crush! Besides, Wits, Wheats and Weizen beers are SUPPOSED to be cloudy!

Thanks everyone! I've never seen it like that before. My first use of a personal grain mill. Sparge was fine but extremely thin so I cut off my Boil kettle at 6.5 gallons and ended up with 5.5 in the car boy

image-1596222836.jpg

Your mill and crush look practically identical to ours - and we love it, readily clearing 80% eff.

At worst, just rack it into a secondary to clear; it does look like that will clear plenty judging by the flocc... in my limited experience.

Yeah it should clear some. Doesn't matter if it doesn't since it's a Wit. If you absolutely can't stand cloudy beer you could use gelatin or super clear etc. I used gelatin on a hefeweizen that I royally screwed up and had no chance of coming out right. Cleared up nicely and was more like a filtered American wheat.

As suggested just go with a fining agent if it becomes a problem. I use a crush like that (though I BIAB so it's essentially necessary) and get good results.

How do you use a finishing agent? Also my sparge was really thin so I didn't end up completely draining my 2nd run.

Latest posts

Back