Starsan Bottle Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has experienced failures with the cap on the Starsan bottles? I'm talking about the bottles that let you squeeze the dosage amount up into the upper section. The screw on caps on he last two bottles have cracked all around the top rendering them useless.

That's happened to me on probably my last three bottles. I determined you can't tighten the cap on the portioning side too tight. Of course after you so it's too late.

I took some Saran Wrap and folded it into a small square with about 6 - 8 layers and put it over the top and put the broken cap back on. It works ok but when this bottle is empty I'm saving the good cap!

Am I the only one who has experienced failures with the cap on the Starsan bottles? I'm talking about the bottles that let you squeeze the dosage amount up into the upper section. The screw on caps on he last two bottles have cracked all around the top rendering them useless.

My last two bottles did the same thing. Really annoying! Taped the lids back together.

Coincidentally, I had my first Star San cap failure - today. And both caps had the circumferential cracks and lifted cap centers. Fortunately that bottle is down to the last couple of ounces.

But I've been really careful not to tighten the caps beyond "barely seated", just because this has been a known problem for at least a couple of years. So I was surprised that both caps had failed just the same...

Cheers!

Mine broke... I just switched it to the side with the small reservoir in order to prevent a spill

A standard soda bottle cap kinda fits. After mine broke that's what I replaced it with and it doesn't seem to leak.

Any pontential issues other than spilling(ie losing potency)?
And I thought it was just me. :drunk: A momentary loss of muscular coordination. A few extra foot-pounds of energy per second, per second.:cool:

Both caps have failed on my bottle. When the main cap fails you can no longer build up the pressure required to squeeze and push fluid into the measuring compartment.:(

Maybe Five-Star needs this information.

Edit: Just notified them of this thread.

It's happened to me too. My LHBS actually sells new and better caps for that reason. I don't know why Five Star hasn't upgraded to a better quality cap yet. It's really annoying.

Back