Name for Belgian micro start-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

We just secured our last piece of financing, found a building site, and are about to order our equipment, but we still can't decide on a freaking name! We're leaning heavily towards focusing on Belgian styles since there is currently no competition for them in our local market.

Any ideas? If we end up using your suggestion, I'll send you a case of our beer once we become operational. :mug:

Adelbert's is in northwest Austin by Austin Beerworks off Mopac and Research, so there is competition in that market, although it is not good competition at all. (Seriously, most of their beers are horrible.) Jester King, while all "farmhouse" is mostly saison-inspired beer which is also technically Belgian/French.

I was just down in Austin this weekend touring some of the breweries. There's a lot of German influence in the breweries down there (e.g. Live Oak, Austin Beerworks, whatever that new one is -- Redenalles?) so I don't think I would try to compete in that market. I think even with Adelbert's you could grow as a Belgian-focused brewery in Austin. You might also consider UK style-focus or just an all-American style focus. Something to think about.

"It's a Trappe!"

Love this as a beer name. :)

Adelbert's is in northwest Austin by Austin Beerworks off Mopac and Research, so there is competition in that market, although it is not good competition at all. (Seriously, most of their beers are horrible.) Jester King, while all "farmhouse" is mostly saison-inspired beer which is also technically Belgian/French.

Yeah, I agree completely that Austin is getting extremely crowded which is why we actually are looking at a different part of Texas that I feel like is still semi-untapped. Jester King is actually what gave us the idea for carving out a very specific niche. W/ how much the craft beer scene is blowing up, we want to make sure and differentiate ourself from the very start.

Going for a UK style is interesting as well. The only problem is I really like dry beers and so do most of my investors. Of course, that could be seen as a huge positive in that we won't be drinking as much of our product!

Edit: Just noticed yall are both from Keller. Coincidence?

Houston is a thirsty town!
Your only competition here is AB, St. Arnold's, and Shiner.
Since it is so hot year round, everything brewed here drinks like water. We really need some local beer with some bite!

I am terrible with names, I cannot even name my home brewery.
Belgian Bite
French Kiss
Napoleons Luck
Hairy Arms
Surrender
Oui Oui

Back