Extract Belgian Tripel- My first non-kit brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koebi

Reaction score
My first two brews were from kits, so this is the first time I'm venturing out with my own recipe using Beersmith and such. Let me know what you guys think!

Steep
.5 lb Aromatic malt

Boil 2.5 gallon partial
2 lb extra light DME @ 60 minutes
1.5 oz Hallertauer pellets @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Hallertauer pellets @ 10 minutes
1.5 lb light candi sugar @ 10 minutes
1 oz sweet orange peel @ 5 minutes
6 lb extra light DME at flame out

2 vials WLP570 in a 1.14L starter as per mrmalty, which is currently bubbling away so I can brew on Sunday (my first yeast starter, too!) I've got an estimated OG of 1.081.. and I thought my stout was a big beer! :tank:

I'm kind of new to home brew too, but why do you want to add 6 lbs. of DME at flame out? What effect does that have?

i'd do all the malt at the beginning. unless you think bacteria can't remain viable in a dry, sealed bag. (or the dust on the outside of it, etc.) i'd let the sugar boil at least 20 mins. thats what pasturization in the 170's requires, i belive.
100% Hallertau hops could be nice. goldings in @ 60 is nice and mellow, too.

By saving some of the extract for the end of the boil you keep it from getting so dark from maillard reactions. If it were me I'd put the rest in at 15 minutes to flame out (taking it off the burner and stirring until dissolved of course) so it sanitizes it.

i'd do all the malt at the beginning. unless you think bacteria can't remain viable in a dry, sealed bag. (or the dust on the outside of it, etc.) i'd let the sugar boil at least 20 mins. thats what pasturization in the 170's requires, i belive.
100% Hallertau hops could be nice. goldings in @ 60 is nice and mellow, too.

Pasteurization requires 20 minutes at 145 F, or about 10 seconds at 160 F. Adding the extract at the end will be fine and get sanitized by the heat.

Back