Help me like IPAs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
You can call me a wuss or what ever, I don't care. I just can't get over the real hoppiness of IPAs. Anything past like a 55-60 IBU rating and I just can't do it. I pucker up like the old bitter beer face..
The problem is I really want to like IPAs. I get one all the time to see if I will like it and I never do. The only exception is Bells 2 Hearted Ale, but it's right in that 50 range, which is low for an IPA, it tastes more like an Amber Ale to me.

Beers I love are usually Bitters, especially Fuller's ESB, I love Amber ales, and darker stouts and porters.

Can you give me a recipe for something like a beginners IPA - something just like one step past Bells 2 Hearted. Kind of like dipping your leg in the pool before you jump in..

I feel your pain my friend.

I've tried to like IPAs. I really, really have. So far it's been a futile effort.

If you can pick up a bottle of Inversion from Deschutes, give it a shot. It has more than your desired IBU's, but it has a good malt backbone to back it up.

How bout something like Avery New World Porter. It's dry hopped so the aroma and initial flavor have more of an IPA feel to it. Could be TE bridge you need into IPAs. Then try Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. It's a little more malt heavy than most IPAs

Is say try the dogfish 60 minute or clone it using the recipe on this site. It's a great entry level ipa. Easy drinker and nice an hoppy. Also maybe try lagunitas ipa which is nice and fruity.

I'm with you I really don't like bitterness but I've come to really enjoy the hop flavor and aroma of many of the west coast style ipas

I second Lagunitas IPA, it's pretty sweet. I really enjoy it though. Torpedo is great as well but a little hoppier than you'd like perhaps.

Do one that has a small bittering charge. Then late hop the snot out of it. Dry hop it to. You will get lots of hop flavor but not alot of bitternes

Yeah I started a similar post about this not long ago. Trust me I'm right there with ya. I just get blown away when I take a sip of one. I try them all the time but I'm always disappointed. I love porters, stouts and amber ales though. I feel like an outcast because I don't like IPAs but what do you do?

You don't have to like IPA's. Save some for those that like them! I like a Tallgrass Oasis quite often, but I don't drink it every day. I am making some though, maybe I will.

why force liking something???
This.

I like specific kinds of IPAs which really limits my selection.

For yellow/amber IPAs I like fruity/citrus/fruit flavors and aromas. Some examples I like are Bell's -2h, DFH 90 min (much better than the 60 IMO), Stone - Ruination, Lagunita's - Little Summpin', Russian River - Pliny the Elder, Sam Adam's - White Water IPA

For Dark/Black/CDA/ADA (you get the idea) I like Grassy/pine flavors and these may have a mild catiness and/or citrus to them. New Glarus - Black Top, Victory - Storm King, Lakefront - IBA, Alaskan - Black IPA

What I strongly dislike is oily, greasy slickness that comes from hops. MANY commercial examples have this issue IMO. To a lesser degree I dislike strong catiness. But the real deal breaker for me is the age. Old IPA of any variety tastes like a bitter, nasty beer to me. 2-4 weeks after the bottle date and almost all the aroma is gone 4-6 and all the flavor is faded into bitter. I seldom buy IPAs that do not have a date system on them, I have been burned to many times.

Also, I do not know many people that liked IPAs of any variety right from the start. You have a lupilin shift when it happens and it may never. My wife would swear she hated IPAs a year ago, now she likes MOST of the ones I do.

I say shock your system. Get the most hoppy and bitter IPA you can find and then a "normal" one and taste the bitter bomb first. The second should taste mild by comparison. I personally like citrusy hops in my IPA and a strong but not overpowering bitterness. I would have less IBUs and be okay so long as people put less crystal 40 or 60 in there. Bittersweet is not how I like my IPA.

If you ask me, an American IPA is more about the hop flavor and aroma. The malt character is secondary to that. Clearly, you have a sweeter, maltier palate, based on the beers you say you like, so I wouldn't expect you to like an IPA too much. There's nothing wrong with that

However, if you want to open up your taste buds a little more, maybe you can first focus on properly tasting beer, if you're not already doing that. Pour the beer so that you get a nice lasting head and let it warm up a bit so that you don't loose the aroma and flavors to the cold and carbonation. This lets the malt flavors come out more, so you may appreciate that in an IPA. Take short, quick sniffs and think about what you're smelling. Have a small drink and let it sit in your mouth and on your tongue for a bit. Focus on the flavors and sensations in your mouth. Swallow and focus on the after tastes and aromas that come when you're exhaling after it goes down.

You say you like Bell's Two Hearted. If you're set on liking and making IPA's, look for similar recipes. Their website says it's hopped exclusively with Centennial. Try an IPA recipe with Centennial. 55-60 IBU is well within the range of an IPA, regardless of what people may think, so just go with what you like.

You asked for a recipe. It doesn't use Centennial, but this is my low IBU IPA:

5.25 Gallons, 60 minute Boil, OG 1.058, IBU 51
10.5 lbs Pale Malt
.75 lbs Cara-Pils
.75 lbs Crystal 20L
1 oz Magnum 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
1 oz Falconer's Flight 1 min
1 pkg US-05, rehydrated and Fermented at 68 degrees

(I will dry hop with an extra 1 oz of Falconer's Flight for more aroma sometimes, once primary fermentation is complete)

But the real deal breaker for me is the age. Old IPA of any variety tastes like a bitter, nasty beer to me. 2-4 weeks after the bottle date and almost all the aroma is gone 4-6 and all the flavor is faded into bitter. I seldom buy IPAs that do not have a date system on them, I have been burned to many times.

This, to me, is also the key to any good IPA. I find it hard for any bottled IPA to beat the fresh, local IPA's I get on draft. I slightly over prime my IPA's and start drinking them a week to two after bottling.

If you don't like IPA's, then you don't like them. That's cool. A pet peeve of mine is that we are "supposed" to like certain things. For example, I don't care for most Belgian ales. This thought is as anathema to homebrewers as not liking IPA's. But I just don't find that funky, sour taste pleasing. Think of it like listening to opera or heavy metal. Some people like it, some people want to run screaming from the room. That said, here is a recipe that may work for you:

Base malt: 83% (About 10 lbs 5 oz)
Crystal 60: 6% (About 13 ounces)
Munich: 6% (About 13 ounces)
Carastan: 3% (about 6.5 oz)
Wheat: 3% (About 6.5 oz)

Note: the crystal and carastan will give your beer body and some unfermentables to balance out the hops. Also, I typically mashed this beer at about 154 -- that also gives the beer some body and unfermentables.

Northern Brewer, AA 8.6%, 1 oz 75 minutes
Fuggles, AA 4.1% 1 oz 30 minutes
Fuggles, AA 4.1%, 1 oz 15 minutes
Goldings, AA 4.6%, 1 or 2 oz dry hop.

OG: 1.060
IBU 55

I used to brew this at a brewpub in NJ, and it was quite popular. We called it Maxcy's Steamtrap IPA.

And here I thought I was the only homebrewer that did not like bitter beer?!

think its time for a pole?

I didn't like IPA when I started brewing a year ago and now I have 2 IPA and a pale ale kegged. Go figure!
Maybe try a black IPA? To me, they seem a little less hoppy and a bit sweeter. I love them.

IPAs are the epitome of "if a little is good, a lot must be better!". But I love IPAs so for me that rang true.

I agree with several posters who mentioned the fact that, two hearted for example, is a "real" IPA. In my opinion, IPA's have sort of become a pissing contest over the past 5 years in particular. I really like pale ales like summit, Sierra Nevada, etc. I also love two hearted and similar brews. However, when the beer turns into a contest to see how many hops you can put in it, or how bitter can you make it....... It is "ok", I can drink one, but I don't like it.
I am also a big porter, stout, brown, amber fan as well. In my opinion, it is a lot of the newer IPA's that are getting closer to being "out of style." Northern Brewer has a two hearted clone (Dead Ringer Ale) that I have used as my "go to" IPA. I tweak it a little, and have mixed the hops up in different ways too - using some cascade and citra in place of some of the centennial at times. I can't brew replacement batches fast enough to replace empty kegs. Try some IPA's when you get chances, but I would not worry one minute about not liking them as much as other people. Everyone has different tastes.

I do not like anchovies. I don't like them on pizza, I don't like them in a sauce. I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere. What's my incentive to somehow force myself to like something? Taste (e.g., those who can't tolerate the taste of cilantro, which I love) is very often genetic. It's likely there's nothing you can do about your revulsion to high hopping. Have a nice Irish Red or a Hefeweizen.

I have found that commerical examples that aren't fresh, are terrible to drink and could really turn somebody off. I find that a fresh keg of two hearted ale, is a great "gateway" IPA, that helps open peoples eyes to how delicious a properly balanced, fresh, aromatic IPA can be. I think the IBU numbers are a waste, I find that 20 IBU of "hop A" can seem more bitter than 20 IBU of "hop B". First wort hopping, whirlpool hopping, mash hopping..etc...etc..these all provide bitterness that is difficult to measure. Making a 60 IBU batch of beer is easy.......making a 60 IBU batch of beer that is firmly bittered, balanced by malt/abv and accentuating hop flavors and aromas without overcoming you with bitterness, is a masterfull act.

Beers I love are usually Bitters, especially Fuller's ESB, I love Amber ales, and darker stouts and porters.

Can you give me a recipe for something like a beginners IPA - something just like one step past Bells 2 Hearted. Kind of like dipping your leg in the pool before you jump in..

Seems like you may be more interested in an English style IPA rather than an American version. IF you really want to give it a try then Fuller makes one and I think the Yards IPA is pretty good.

I agree with many other posters that there's no reason to force yourself to like a particular style. I appreciate a good bock on occasion, but I'm really crazy the style. IF someone recommends one to me, I'll try one to remind myself that I don't like it, then go back to whatever pale ale or IPA that I was drinking. There are too many good beers available and no good reasons to conform to some else's taste.

Taste (e.g., those who can't tolerate the taste of cilantro, which I love) is very often genetic.

i would honestly like to see some information around that. i am of the opinion that taste is very much dependent on what you grew up on, and you can certainly change your tastes by forcing foods on yourself. but that's just my opinion, i really have no idea.

i would honestly like to see some information around that. i am of the opinion that taste is very much dependent on what you grew up on, and you can certainly change your tastes by forcing foods on yourself. but that's just my opinion, i really have no idea.

We are talking about two different things here. One is getting beyond custom (and food / beverage prejudices can be very strong), and the other is programmed into our genes, like lactose intolerance.

Here's something that's not too scholarly and dreary to peruse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

Here's something specific to cilantro intolerance:

http://blackfootjournal.com/cilantro-—-love-it-or-hate-it/

I taught for many years with a woman who (as the article relates) coudn't stand cilantro, claiming it tasted like soap.

There are Definitely certain chemicals that people can/can't taste - and it IS genetic for some of them. We do an activity in Biology classes I teach in regard to one aspect of this. Not saying this is definitely dealing with hops - but this would be an example. Here is some info on one aspect of genetics and the ability to taste bitter things in different ways - http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/ptc/

I am also one of those in the "HATE cilantro" - can't stand it. Tastes like I am chewing on aluminum foil - gives me a real bitter/metallic taste. Curry is the same way for me.

I taught for many years with a woman who (as the article relates) coudn't stand cilantro, claiming it tasted like soap.

Interesting. Makes me think of asparagus pee, that stinky pee you get after eating asparagus. Some people smell it, some don't. It was believed that some people just didn't produce it, but then it was discovered that we all make asparagus pee, but not everyone can smell it. I definitely smell it. I'm no super taster, but I may have hyperosmia, because I am generally sensitive to smell.

http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/skinny-on/asparagus.html

On a more related note, there are some hoppy/bitter beers that taste like soap to me. It's a very faint flavor, but it's present. I can usually get around it by focusing on the other flavors and never have a problem finishing a beer that has that taste. Sometimes I think it's the glass that hasn't been rinsed properly.

Sam adams 48 IPA i have a bud who knows i like IPA's so he stocked up for a party he had.. It wasnt bad but definitely an IPA. It left me wanting a nice 90 minute however.
Sam adams has a way of making things tasty! Its a good place to start i think...

I forced myself to like IPAs. I used to hate them, now they are 95% of what I brew. They are an acquired taste, like Scotch or Coffee, and you can quickly become addicted to them. People don't normally LOVE them upon first sip. I recommend doing some research on the better IPAs out there, buy a bomber or a sixer, sit down, and try to appreciate them for what they are. The new American IPA/IIPA drinkers tend to like balance and sweetness to counteract the bitter. Veterans tend to like the real dry IPAs with a clean bitterness, low sweetness, and a blast of aroma.

On a side note, you can't always go by IBUs as a definite indicator of actual perceived bitterness. Some recipes with high IBUs can mask the harshness well. Others blast you with bitter and low aroma; those can be very off-putting.

Simple Extract IPA

Original Gravity: 1.064-ish
Final Gravity: 1.015 or lower
IBUs: 65
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 31 Days & 64 F
Tasting Notes: Clean, bitter, smooth, citrusy, piney, hoppy, highly drinkable, easy

6 Gallon Boil / 5 Gallon Batch

6.50 to 7.00 lbs. Briess Pilsen Light DME, or Muntons Extra Light DME
0.50 lb. Corn Sugar, or Table Sugar
0.50 lb. Light to Medium Crystal Malt, or Honey Malt (crushed & steeped around 155 F for 30 mins)

Boil 60 mins, 0.50 oz. High-alpha % American pellet hops like Columbus, Magnum, Horizon, Chinook, Warrior
Boil 25 mins, 0.50 oz. High-alpha % American pellet hops like Columbus, Magnum, Horizon, Chinook, Warrior
Boil 10 mins, 1.00 oz. Aromatic American pellet hops like Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Nugget, Centennial, Cascade
Boil 5 mins, 1.00 oz. Aromatic American pellet hops like Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Nugget, Centennial, Cascade
Post-boil (100-150 F) aroma steep 30 mins, 2.00 oz. Aromatic American pellet hops (see above)
Dryhop 6-9 days, 2.50 oz. Aromatic American pellet hops (included during primary time)

Safale US-05 dry yeast

We are talking about two different things here. One is getting beyond custom (and food / beverage prejudices can be very strong), and the other is programmed into our genes, like lactose intolerance.

Here's something that's not too scholarly and dreary to peruse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

wild. i love cilantro. really "fresh" tasting. but in general I think I have a very dull sense of taste. and smell. especially smell. but that might be mainly from my bad allergies.

As a chef, I've somewhat cured a few people of their hatred for cilantro.

The trick is to know how to use it in a way to find balance, and not to overload the dish with the herb. Certain varieties of cilantro also taste less citrusy and more soapy than others. Cilantro Santo is generally enjoyed the most. It has a very bright, citrusy quality.

Whos up for a cilantro IPA????

Seriouslly though, thanks for all the great replies, I am going to try a Bells 2 Hearted clone soon.

I posted a similar response on another thread: I was just like you about a year ago. Once I started brewing, I really wanted to learn and love IPA's. I challenged myself to try 100 different IPA's before the end of this summer so I could learn all the in's-and-out's of Hops. I have a few local bottle shops that sell the mixer 6'ers so I can load up on only one of each IPA, that way I am not stuck with 6 of something that I dont like. I keep a spreadsheet and use BA to track and rate the brews I have tried so I know which ones were too bitter, too sweet, etc.

I am about 28 IPA's into the challenge so far. I have learned a lot! Its amazing the variety in the craft IPA's that you can buy. Its amazing the difference in smell and tastes you can buy. I never thought I would love IPA, but to tell you the truth, I actually crave them now. My last homebrew batch was my first IPA!

Just know that there is a wide variety out there, and there are bound to be a few you enjoy (Bells Two Hearted is one of my faves, as well!)

I do not like anchovies. I don't like them on pizza, I don't like them in a sauce. I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere. What's my incentive to somehow force myself to like something? Taste (e.g., those who can't tolerate the taste of cilantro, which I love) is very often genetic. It's likely there's nothing you can do about your revulsion to high hopping. Have a nice Irish Red or a Hefeweizen.

I LOVE anchovies, and cilantro, but not together.

You've got a point about force liking something. My family hails from Ireland so maybe I have an excuse to keep drinking my stouts. hehe

3 years ago I detested beer; every beer I had tried just tasted like "beer". However, a few of my friends had started homebrewing, and I really liked the rich tradition that beer had in history, so I set out to make myself like it.

I realized that the first flavor hurdle I probably needed to get over was "fermented", because I had the same problem with not liking wine. So, I started off drinking apple/pear ciders, moved on to hefeweizen, then oktoberfest/marzen, to lighter ales, amber ales and stouts.

During this transformation, I took my first international vacation to Oktoberfest in Munich, then last year I went to Ireland and fell in love with "good" Guinness.

I had tried a couple IPAs earlier in my journey, but had the same reaction to how bitter they were, and I looked at my friend like he was crazy as he quaffed beer after beer. Finally, several months ago I tried Lagunitas and fell in love with IPAs at last. I just finished brewing a Stone Ruination clone that clocks in at 99 IBU and it's lovely to drink.

Parting suggestion: try IPAs that use magnum for bittering hops... they have a nice, smooth bitterness. Stone Ruination is an example.

I would say, going back to the original question. Your best bet is to just keep trying different ones. Different Hops used differently produce different flavors. I love IPAs. Alot. But I have had plenty I didn't like, and it wasn't low quality or anything like that. I figured out that it was the types of hops and how they are used that would determine if I liked the beer. I like mine realy bitter with a nice malty backbone to carry that. I like the ones that impart a bit of citrusy sweetness as well. I like Dogfish Head 60 min, 90 min and 120 min IPAs a lot. I used to hate them, and then a switch flipped somewhere and I couldn't get enough.

So just keep trying different ones and you will eventually find one you like. Try drinking more Pale Ales too. Its the gentler little brother to the IPA. Try brewing Drydock Breakwater Pale Ale from Northern Brewer. It is one of the hoppier Pale Ales I have had.

yea in the same boat here.. my IPA experience was Alexnader Keiths IPA.. LOL then i got into craft brews and found something from a decent craft brewery called phillips brewing co, beer is called Hopperation Tripple Cross.. WOW i think i went from one extreme to other because this thing literally burned my tongue it was so bitter. i've stayed clear of anything IPA ever since..

i think i will start exploring more IPA's, i've been searching for the dogfish head.. our liquor stores kinda rotate there craft brew section just gota keep my eyes open for it

If you have tried a fair number of IPAs and have not liked any, maybe it just isn't your thing. Maybe it's taste. Maybe it's genetics. I have a friend who has an allergic reaction to IPA in his sinuses. When I brew for his parties, I brew a brown ale. Personally, I love a good IPA or IIPA as long as it isn't too malty. Pliny good. Maharaja bad. Anything Belgian (other than wits and runway models) bad.

There is also a pretty big difference in regional definitions of IPA. East Coast companies that make and IPA are mostly making a beer that most west coasters would call a Pale Ale. If you don't want something too hoppy, try east coast IPA. It'll ease you into the flavor.

And stay away from all these new "Rye IPA" beers. They just confuse the issue with strong, unrepresentative of traditional IPA flavors. They are different enough that an IPA lover like me won't touch a RyePA. Too burnt. Not to my taste. Never will be (maybe like you and IPA!). But obviously there are lots who do love it as it's springing up like weed in Humbolt.

Back