Potential brewstand setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJerk

Reaction score
I am finally ready to upgrade, I've got two propane burners, one converted keg, and two more on the way. My plan was to buy a three tier shelving unit at lowes that can support 3000 lbs per shelf, more than enough, and thread casters through the feet. Then use half shelves with the hot liquor tank in top, the mash tun opposite that on the second shelf, the the boil kettle on the bottom shelf opposite the tun, under the hot liquor tank, anyone have opinions?

Good to know, but this isn't a rack tube situation, I'll see if I can find a link to the shelves I'm referring to.

Item #: 319477 | Model #: 7224PRBWWD3

The link doesn't seem to work, here is more info on it.

537723_327411650663739_100001847210823_794477_84568418_n.jpg

Here it is! I'm gonna add some sheet metal to the shelves for stability, and I have a burner for the liquor tank and heat shields. Today is a water test run, then brew day tomorrow!

just go the a bedding store and look in the dumpsters for broken bed frames and get a metal blade with a metal cutoff wheel and some 1/4 inch nuts/bolts and build it to suit you. I did mine that way cost just for the nuts and bolts for the frame
61077d1336816370-ag-new-setup-imag0479.jpg

That is essentially what I did for my build, except I mounted the burners under the under the shelf and my hilt and boil kettle are stacked, my shelving isnt as long a yours, so far 3 10 gallon batches in and it works great, let me know if your. Interested in pics

Yeah, pics are always good for ideas, after a test run with just water to see what the thermal mass of the tun is I decided to lower the top shelf a bit. I didn't account for the height of the burner, and it was pretty tall!

Dougie63 said:
just go the a bedding store and look in the dumpsters for broken bed frames and get a metal blade with a metal cutoff wheel and some 1/4 inch nuts/bolts and build it to suit you. I did mine that way cost just for the nuts and bolts for the frame

Dougie is there a pump mounted to your frame somehow or how do you go from Mash Tun to Boil Kettle?

My top shelf is pretty high, I find myself needing to use a keg as a step ladder to get water into the HLT, let me look around and see if I have a picture of the finished stand or at least a picture of the build process.

Tryin to upload from my phone using hbt mobile, hope it works out,

I also plumbed the propane on the right side of the rig, I plan on adding a cut down shelf big enough to hold a 100lb tank, and adding locking casters for support under the tank

image-528876184.jpg

Cool, I put some locking castors on mine, but they're only rated for 100lbs. I don't plan on moving it when it has water in it anyway, I just wanted an easy way to roll it in and out of the garage.

Yeah I have casters I got from a harbor freight furniture dolly I think the dolly was rated at 1000lbs, so far the casters are getting the job done. I just have to make sure it is on level ground, which is why I want to add the locking ones

Oh man, this looks like exactly the shelf I wanted to use. Is this the $170 one from Lowes? I accidentally changed my profile pic to a picture of this shelf, when trying to post about it from my mobile device haha Can't wait to see how it works out. I had envisioned mounting the control panel just like this.

Man, I love it when people do my R&D for me! :)

Yeah, thats the one. It's a bit of a pain to use jockying around the pots, and the shelves are not as stable as I would like, but the price is right and it'll give me time to save up for something better.

Mine has been through 6 or 7 brews, holding up good. I got mine on special from menards for $60.

Back