anyone had Black Boss Porter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its a polish beer... the best I have had in 15 years. try it then let me know what hops you think are in it. this is one I MUST clone
JJ

Yup, Black Boss is a good one, it's one of my wife's favorite Porters. The high ABV was a surprise to me after tasting it, it's very well balanced so you don't notice the high alcohol content.

Sorry I can't help you dissect the recipe, but I would definitely brew it if someone else can.

I am sure there is someone here that can help. its going to be a hard one indeed but well worth the effort even if one could get close. Hell just the hop profile is out of this world! I am wondering what hops they used, you know there a noble hop.
JJ

Anyone made any progress on this clone? This is a great beer, and I would love to brew something like it!

Odd there aren't any recipes out there anywhere. I've seen Black Boss around for a couple years at least.

I know Okocim Porter, another Polish Baltic porter, uses Lublin and Marynka hops although the recipe in Clone Brews just calls for Lublin. There's an old Michael Jackson article about it here.

I was talking with the old Polish lady that runs the only little shop where I can find this stuff. She said she thought it was wheat based, not sure what to think of that.

- I'd use a lager yeast (lots of baltic porters do)
- 9.4% with probably 75% attenuation (guess) puts it at 1.094 starting gravity (give or take)

I was talking with the old Polish lady that runs the only little shop where I can find this stuff. She said she thought it was wheat based, not sure what to think of that.

Drinking this right now, and it is fantastic. Honestly I wouldn't be super surprised it had quite a bit of wheat in it. I'm not sure what else could account for how full-bodied it is.

It was the first baltic porter I'd ever had...definitely an interesting twist on the more typical british porters...

Conceptually an interesting beer style in general, b/c as wonderbread mentioned, I've also understood that they are actually lagers, which on one hand may make them seem more closely linked to schwarzbiers than porters, but I do think taste wise they're closer to a porter, only sweeter and more full bodied....

Resurrecting this old thread rather than starting a new one on the same subject. I just had one of these the other days that my friend brought back from the east coast. WOW. This is is one delicious, full-bodied porter. If anyone can come up with a clone I would love to see it.

Back