Chunky yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
Has anyone had a yeast cake that kind of looked like gravel? Here are two pictures of my APA with US-05. One is of the carboy for a reference point and one is a close up of the yeast cake. I've never seen this before.

image-1717090401.jpg

image-650737652.jpg

I had this happen with WLP-380. If I remember correctly US-05 is the same as WLP-001. I'm surprised to see this with that yeast but I doubt it effects your finished beer.

Did you use Irish moss or finings? These may affect whether/how stray proteins clump or settle out.

Maybe some of the yeast is just clinging on to clumps of other stuff that form as part of your clearing practice?

Cheers.
Patrick

I had my Pumpkin Ale look like that while using Nottingham Dry. Tasted great. Left it alone for 3 weeks. Bottled and tasted great. i think it is just co2 escaping from the bottom carving through the yeast cake.

I just had this as I transfered my milk/oatmeal stout to secondary today. Used Safale US-05. Just started to search for some info on it. Mine looked like, but more extreme. Large hard chunks of brown gravel looking stuff about 1cm side at the most. Kinda odd, my last batch using the same yeast didn't do that. Beer is fine though, tastes great. Should have taken a picture though.

Thanks for everyone's response. I knew I shouldn't have worried about it yet I still did.

Graybeard- yes, I used Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of my boil.

This has happened twice to me. I just assumed it was a nice flocculating yeast with the addition of Irish moss at 10 minutes. I used Nottingham the first time and this last batch, about 8 days ago, looks the same with US-05.

Just had this happen with our Mild ale, first time we've used Whirlfloc.

I do a lot of British-style beers with various British yeast strains, so I see that all the time. Freaked me the hell out the first time, too.

Glad this forum exists. I just got the same thing for the first time. And I did remember to use Irish moss on this one.

Back