What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up my last Kit beer. Coopers stout.

Picked up the grainfather and gave it a clean, ready to brew tomorrow.

finally got around to posting my Kottbusser PM recipe under historic beers. Gotta get a small A/C unit HD has on sale & a roll of clear heavy plastic to cut in strips to cover the archway into the room. Too damned hot in her, Mumme won't settle.

Tidied up the brew cave
Restocked the beer fridge
Organized supplies
Weighed out grain bil for tomorrow's brew day
Sanitized bottles and got ready to bottle my IPA

WHEW!!! Time for a beer...

Kegged a Spotted Cow tribute Cream Ale and ordered ingredients for a Vienna Lager for the empty fermenter. Also ordered ingredients for an English Brown Ale

Wrote the recipe for my next brew (American Pale) whilst chugging a couple of my last that's just conditioned ��

Bottled 5 gal English Mild, racked add'l 3 gallons into glass carboy and pitched a vial of Brett at it.

In a homebrewer's rite of passage, last night I poured the oxyclean/etc out of my flask and, whoops! dropped a stir bar down the drain. (I usually remember a keeper magnet but forgot this time. Yes, beer was involved). Anyway, this morning I realized I could stick a neodymium magnet on the outside of the P-trap and slide the stir bar all the way back up to the top where I could grab it with a different neodymium magnet. Problem solved!

I washed 2 cases of bottles, bottled 2 cases of Czech Pale Lager, and 2 cases of some kind of Belgian Single Pale something. Now I am getting ready to start a 4L starter of WLP820 for an Oktoberfest/Marzen I am brewing next weekend, then I am going to drink some HomeBrew.

When I went to pick up the window A/C unit at the Avon Home Depot yesterday, I saw a lot of things on sale up front. They had 4 of those plastic, shoebox-size storage containers for $3.88, so I copped a set. Re-arranged the doored compartment on my fermenter stand to unclutter it. Pics in the ghetto brew set-ups thread. No more old small boxes to store some things, others stacked up & cluttered...:ban:

Bottled and stored my house IPA. I got 7.1% abv (og 1.060- fg 1.006)!

Brewing my house steam beer...

Today I placed an order for my next 2 brews and a new primary fermenter.

Later this week i will pick up a few things at the LHBS that are less expensive than buying online.

Picked up a 2 gallon HPDE 2 bucket the other day to use with the one gallon carboy to make my wife some wine to cook with. she wants to see if she can handle drinking that. We used to love sharing a magnum of Lambrusco when we were dating. I just can't find a 1 gallon kit for it, let alone any other size? Soaking some more bottles for labels to save/collect/trade. Got the temp on the Mumme in primary down to 69.8F finally. Should be settling out finally.:mug:

Today I unloaded a package I got from Ritebrew.com then went to Home Depot and picked up a new gamma lid for grain storage and some new tubing for my autosiphon.

Today I got all my grains vacuum sealed in 1# packages and stored away in the basement by my brewing stuff.

Struggling to get my beer app (Wort) in line after it deleted all of my recipes. Going to have to rebuild them I guess...

Used BS2.3 to write an AG version of my PM Irish Red from 5/4/13. It is a corruption of that PM recipe of mine & the AG one in BYO, September 2016, page #62. Forgot I need new 7/16" tubing for my bottling wand to bottle the Mumme. Thunderboomin' & rainin' atm, so maybe when son gets home I can hit homer cheapo for a foot of tubing? I'll list my PM recipe, BYO's & my new AG if anyone appears interested?

Crushed grains for tomorrow morning brew. Pretty excited to have a chance to use my new fermentation chamber.

Trying out different apps for recipes after my current one failed me. Rewriting a half dozen recipes but lost one completely as I hadn't backed it up yet.

It has afforded me time to do some inventory and get a shopping list together for my next trip to the lhbs.

Accidentally cooled my blonde ale down too much overnight after my brew day yesterday, so I spent day getting the temp back up into the mid 60's and anxiously checking it to see if it would actually start fermenting. I haven't been that nervous about a fermentation starting since my first batch. But it seems to have recovered nicely.

Crushed 20 pounds of grain, staged the brew rig with water in the kettles so all I have to do is turn the burners on tomorrow and brew. Need to cut the days workload down some so I am not so dead tired when I finish brewing!

Divided my 55# sack of 2-row into 4 bags of 10# each, then the rest in one bag. It's 15# & 13ozs!! That one will be for a wee heavy...

Last night I sampled my winter stout. After a month in the bottle it has carbed up nicely. In the basement it goes, not to be touched again until December.

Today I picked up a new bottling bucket and some honey in anticipation of my next brew day. Also washed some empty bottles I had and got the labels off.

Bottlled a batch and bought the grains for the next batch and Idaphor and Hydrometer and some caps!

Back