question regarding reusing yeast cake for similar brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
one of my favorite brews is a pale english mild from zymurgy a couple of years ago. I want to do this again with trying a liquid witbread yeast (I had used s-04 the first time) but afterwards I was wondering if I could reuse the yeast cake for a similar abv but dark english mild. are there any concerns I need to know before hand. Both will be AG recipes and approx 3.2 to 3.5 abv. I have only reused a yeast cake twice in the 2.5 years of brewing and that was brewing a mid ABV to create the starter for John's Red Barleywine (which I think will be a yearly tradition for me) as always any info or response is much appreciated. TIA
Ben

You'll be grossly overpitching but IMHO that's better than underpitching! You may just want to use MrMalty.com and repitch some of the leftover slurry, then wash and save the rest.

I thought about washing the yeast. I have done it only once before for a cream ale yeast blend back in the spring so was not sure if I wanted to do it again or if I could get a good result from just pitching the second darker mild onto a yeast cake for a pale mild. from what I have seen here it is recommended a higher OG onto a lower OG cake. will check out the Mr Malty calculation for the slurry. thanks

Latest posts

Back