DIY CFC is "high temp" hose necessary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifton

Reaction score
What's the big deal with the high temp hose? Up until recently all I've seen used is the average garden hose.

a lot of people choose to clean their CFC using near boiling water, or to sanitize by running boiling wort through it.

The high temp hose can handle the heat a lot better than a regular hose.

If I'm not mistaken, though, the beer runs in the inside of the CFC, cooling water on the outside. Even running boiling water through the inside shouldn't melt the outside...should it?

I think it's just a bunch of hooey. "Airedale," over on the greenboard, says he's used his garden hose CFC with no problems for 20 years.

My CFC has a garden hose outside and I pump boiling wort through the inner copper coil for 15 minutes minimum every batch without problems. Sure it gets hot, but once i turn on the water it cools off quick and hasn't presented any problems in the 3 years I've been using it.

Chiming in to say I used a cheapo garden hose when I built my CFC and I've used it a couple of dozen times without any problems.

a lot of people choose to clean their CFC using near boiling water, or to sanitize by running boiling wort through it.

The high temp hose can handle the heat a lot better than a regular hose.

my regular hose with my cfc gets madly soft when i run boiling water through it. It hasnt failed but i worry its going to melt one of these times.

I've had mine for years. Used an old garden hose (ok, not that old, but still used). No problems. I tightened the clamp on the hot end after it warmed up. You can help by starting the cold water a little before running the hot wort through it.

My biggest problem was the inlet from the BK got pretty warm and slipped off the first time. I have since always had a clamp in there. Need to get some silicone hose for that.

Back